Advice please on a new BFA

ChristineW

Sep 11, 2021
United Kingdom
I am a new member so Hello and Happy New Year.

Our beautiful BFA ‘Dolly’ died suddenly last June, she was just 25 and had always been a healthy bird. I am still devastated by the loss and will never forget my little girl but have now decided its time to look for another bird.

We, my husband and myself, want another BFA female but the market seems to be a minefield of scammers. Any advice on a recommended breeder or pet shop would be most welcome.

Christine.

s-l1600.jpg

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
hello and welcome to the forums!..
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss...
I've got a tip for you to make sure you wont get scammed
ask the seller/breeder to face time you and show you the bird they offered to sell..
again I'm so sorry for your loss :(

OP
ChristineW

ChristineW

Sep 11, 2021
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice. We would not buy a bird without seeing it in person as we would need to be sure the bird is at ease with us. As we all know some BFAs can be a bit aggressive and its for the birds well being that it is going to be happy with us.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
If you live in the USA JC aviary is a good breeder.

They breed them but they don't currently have any.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very sorry for your loss of Dolly. She was clearly a beautiful 'Nominate' Blue-Fronted Amazon. They are a fairly rare Species these days as most true Breeders are breeding the Blue-Fronted Amazons that are from far Southern Brazil /Far Northern Argentina as they have Great Display Coloration. From a personality position, the Full Family of Blue-Fronted Amazons are true lovers with the exception of Hormonal Season as they are members of the Hot-Three Amazons.

I would strongly recommend that you open your home to an Adult Blue-Fronted Amazon as they are just more common these days. I would also recommend that you allow the Amazon to Choose You! It is all about getting down the Bond Building Road a bit faster.

Where are all the Good Breeders? Sadly, the bad breeders have driven most all into retirement as the bad breeder are pushing unweaned babies on people that have never feed a baby parrot and undercutting the Real Breeders.

Where to find an Adult Blue-Fronted Amazon? Start with your Avian Vet as they are well aware of the individuals that are looking for a home for their Parrot! It is also a good reference source in both directions.

We have long been a Home for much older Amazons.

May Success Find You!!
Cheers!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. So sorry that you join under these circumstances, but there is hope! Sailboats suggestion is excellent and deserves consideration. Hope you stick around and let us know how the search progresses.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Christine, my deepest condolences for your loss of Dolly. May her beautiful memories bring peace and inspiration as you search for female BFA.

Avoiding scams so critical, use good judgment, word of mouth, trust instincts, try to purchase from trusted source in person if possible. Huge red flag if searching online are stores advertising "fertile eggs" for sale. That's a showstopper for certain!

Most Reactions

Latest posts