advise please

nicolettens

Apr 5, 2016
so i go straigh from introducing myself to seeking help or advice please.

My neighbour has asked me to adopt her african grey poena, i obviously said yes but now im so worried .

Poena is a plukker. Poena has no feathers, i think its due to the fact that he was almost killed by a dog when he was much younger. Oh poena is about 6 months older than chicco my african grey who is 4 yrs .

Will chicco learn poena's habits. I really want to rehab him but i would love some advice and guidance please.
sorry for the long post

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
That's what this forum is for helping each other. Its kinda early here but i am sure more members will come on soon to help.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
so i go straigh from introducing myself to seeking help or advice please.

My neighbour has asked me to adopt her african grey poena, i obviously said yes but now im so worried .

Poena is a plukker. Poena has no feathers, i think its due to the fact that he was almost killed by a dog when he was much younger. Oh poena is about 6 months older than chicco my african grey who is 4 yrs .

Will chicco learn poena's habits. I really want to rehab him but i would love some advice and guidance please.
sorry for the long post

Hi welcome,

If Poena's plucking is caused by 'issues' rather than disease then he shouldn't be a problem but to be safe I would have a full range of tests done on him by an Avian Vet before you introduce them.

Unless you are absolutely 100% sure of his history (and who can be) I would recommend quarantine procedures also to protect Chicco.

On the positive side it could be that Chicco helps Poena a little.

Wishing you luck :)

You might find this useful also

http://www.theparrotsocietyuk.org/veterinary-advice/feather-plucking-in-parrots

Last edited:
OP
N

nicolettens

Apr 5, 2016
thank you for the link Plumsmom. I have saved it for reference. Poena has been renamed today. He is in my bedroom as the late afternoon sun shines through my window and my tv is always on in here. My husband works away so it will only be the 2 of us. Chicco is in the kitchen so he knows something is wrong. But will only introduce them after 6 months , all advice are welcome

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
thank you for the link Plumsmom. I have saved it for reference. Poena has been renamed today. He is in my bedroom as the late afternoon sun shines through my window and my tv is always on in here. My husband works away so it will only be the 2 of us. Chicco is in the kitchen so he knows something is wrong. But will only introduce them after 6 months , all advice are welcome

I'm in suspense - please tell.

Glad to help, you are welcome :)

Most Reactions