African grey feathers (need help)

Dec 29, 2020
My African grey after laying a couple eggs in a four month period started having bald patches under her wings and her wings look a lot more tattered. I also noticed she doesn’t pick her feathers but rather preens and tatters them. She has pin feathers coming under her wings in slight bald patches and her back and her neck. Is this a molt or her damaging her feathers?

FD07E268-A863-4616-BE65-C879D42962CB.jpg

F9F62EF6-35C9-462D-BCD1-15976939C491.jpg

3C1DDB2C-5F55-45B2-8C67-7EB3D83D2D1F.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
What a cutie!

Sounds like hormonal barbering if she’s been laying lately. They do that becuase they line the nest with the feathers. Nothing big, should pass once you get a handle on the hormones. Research hormonal controls: low sugar diet (reduce fruits) make sure she gets 12-14 hours of sleep (start with 14), etc.

OP
A
Dec 29, 2020
Id also like to add that she hasn’t layed eggs in about 2-3 months and she seems a little itchy. I give her good feed, veggies, eggs, pellets, fruits. She’s also very talkative and active and not aggressive. She also itches her head very often lately.

Cycletim

Mar 22, 2020
Ventura, California
Parrots
Jasper Congo African Grey,
Grover Red bellied parrot RIP 10/20,
Red bellied parrot Rheya
Our grey itches more in the winter because of dryer weather here in Southern California. It has been getting better with a shower every other day and a humidifier.

Greys can be prone to over preening and feather picking when they are bored. Maybe introduce more toys, and get your grey outside. Our birds spend most of their day outside, we started putting them in our aviary about 2 weeks ago. Our grey especially is much happier now, it is very noticeable. Hopefully it helps with his over preening problems from his past life before we adopted him. I hope that helps.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
How is the humidity and have you had blood-work run?

OP
A
Dec 29, 2020
She’s completely healthy, we’ve had everything from her blood to ovaries checked a couple weeks ago and she’s in perfect health and is not showing any unusual behavior. I have noticed when I give her showers she doesn’t preen. Could it just be a molt considering her pin feathers are coming out in multiple spots?

Most Reactions

Latest posts