African grey plucking

Claire87

Mar 15, 2024
Parrots
2 congo African greys
Good morning everyone, I could really use some helpful advice, tips or general help. I have 2 Congo african grey parrots, both have been rescued, one is 19 years old and doing fantastic, fully feathered and thriving in his new home. I have another one that came from an awful previous home, he ( not confirmed ) is 28 years old and I have now had him for a short 7 weeks. He came to me with his chest plucked and like I said he came from a horrible home that kept him in the dark mostly, had no toys at all and wasnā€™t fed correctly or even daily. He has had to have surgery once before to remove stones from his nose and the previous home did not keep it clean and continue with his medicine or nebulising to keep it clear. He came to me with another stone in his nose which I got the vet to remove, he started growing his new feathers and was put on seeds, veggies, fruits, he will not eat pellets. I got him a new cage and clearly of toys which he loves destroying. Since Monday this week he has been ripping out his feathers on his chest, his wings, his tail and shoulders. If he isnā€™t sleeping or eating he is pulling them out, I let him out of his cage but that doesnā€™t stop him. On his last visit to the vet she went to pull out what she thought was more stone that had made its way down to learn that it was in fact a tumour, the vet wanted to give him another month to settle and be happy before putting him under general atheistic incase he didnā€™t make it with all the stress his had, they were then going to operate and send it off to be tested for cancer. I donā€™t know why all of sudden he is yanking out his feathers, do you think he could be in pain, could it be due to the fact itā€™s is coming into spring, it is completely heartbreaking to see him do it and I canā€™t seem to do anything to stop him. If you have any help or advice I would great appreciate it. Thank you.
I forgot to mention his is on a painkiller twice a day but it isnā€™t always the correct dosage as he is a smart bird and no matter what I hide it in he knows so stays away from it but I know he gets about each time.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Feather plucking and destruction is difficult to treat.
7 weeks is not a long time, not for a parrot.
I know itā€™s painful to watch your bird pull & damage his feathers

Bella is our feather plucker and it took a few months before she let at least some of her feathers grow back.
We have had her since Dec of 2016 and she still pulls out her feathers just not so completely as when we got her.

what about bath/shower?
do you give him regular bath time.
water and high humidity can help.

here was my Bella when I first saw her.
IMG_1149.jpeg

And now.
IMG_0779.jpeg

OP
Claire87

Claire87

Mar 15, 2024
Parrots
2 congo African greys
He hates a shower/spritz. I will still continue to do that as I will do anything to help him. I just feel bad on him if his in pain and Iā€™m there spraying him. He is going for a vet check again on Wednesday so will take along his feathers and see what she says also. Thank you for your reply . Beautiful bird also, glad she is keeping more feathers in now

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. PLucking is so very hard to break in a parrot once it becomes a nervous habit. You said he was growing new feathers, so there is still hope. It may have been that the new home distracted him enough to let him grow those, but now that he is settled in, the old habit is back. I would overload his cage and play area with the toys he likes. Lots of one on one time with him. Start trying to do some training with him. Trick training, or cognition training, to recognoze shapes colors etc. Keep him busy is the idea. THere is always the 'cone of shame', or a birdie sweater but those are extreme and maybe last resort. Good luck. Plucking in greys is well documented, but what is not is success stories. Dont give up!!

OP
Claire87

Claire87

Mar 15, 2024
Parrots
2 congo African greys
Thank you, I have just seen him trying to bathe in his water dish so gave him quite a good soak and I will certainly keep those toys coming. I am working on him at the moment as he is not very tame at all but I canā€™t blame him when he used to be poked with sticks etc. thank you so much for the reply

Most Reactions

Latest posts