Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
2 Greys-Annie & Roscoe
1 Red Fronted Macaw-Reggie
2 Senegals-Goofy & Lucky
2 Lovebirds
11 Cockatiels
1 Pigeon
My 2 greys love to chew on dental floss (it is wet and in a small ball form). They never have swallowed any before tonight when my grey decided to swallow her piece. We just lost the cockatiel that kept throwing up and when they did a necrospy on her, she had all this string in her digestive track (we never saw her chew on anything before which was wierd). I am going to check Annie's poop tomorrow morning and if I don't see anything, will call the vet to get her in for an xray. We have 21 birds and she is the baby of the whole family and we don't want to lose her. Has anyone dealt with this before or any suggestions? Thanks

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
my only suggestion is the one you are going to take: get thee to a certified avian vet ASAP!

zarafia

Super Moderator
Jan 22, 2008
Please learn from the loss of your cockatiel. No dental floss for your birds. Even if you don't see them ingesting it the tiel is a perfect example of how they can swallow stuff without you seeing. Good luck with your grey, I hope you let us know how she is after you've seen a vet.

OP
azbirdlover

azbirdlover

Aug 2, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
2 Greys-Annie & Roscoe
1 Red Fronted Macaw-Reggie
2 Senegals-Goofy & Lucky
2 Lovebirds
11 Cockatiels
1 Pigeon
Great news....we found the dental floss!! It fell next to my chair. What a lesson to learn...No more dental floss for the babies!! After seeing the balled up string from the sick cockatiel, I am so afraid of them chewing on anything..I thought I knew with the dental floss I was safe because my 2 greys and 2 sennies always chewed on it but never swallowed it. Well..thanks for the reply and hopefully this will help others on stupid things not to let your birds chew on no matter how much they like it...

Most Reactions

Latest posts