After rehoming

Boozieshome

May 26, 2017
The Woodlands, TX
Parrots
Bonnie and Clyde, Umbrella 'Toos, and BoozieToo, a double yellow Amazon. RIP Boozie, Blue crowned mealy Amazon
Hello, we are the proud parronts of 2 U2s and a Mealy Amazon. We will soon be picking up an 8 year old male BGM, the last member of our flock. Maybe. Probably. Surely?

I had a question: Well, I am sure I will have many questions, but I have one for now: Would facetiming help the transition? When my wife is away, she will video call and I will show her video feed to the U2s, who think she absolutely hung the moon. Bonnie, the more gifted of the two, will interact and give her kisses. Clyde, who is "special" merely tries to bite the phone. I feel like Bonnie recognizes that the video feed of Lesa is Lesa and so she interacts. Clyde just sees a phone he can bite.

Does anyone think that letting the new macaw video time with his parronts will ease the transition to living with his step parronts? It isn't a bad situation he is leaving. He was hand fed by his current parronts, they love and spoil him, they are just getting older and his needs are becoming too much.

I am on the fence. I wonder whether ripping the bandaid is better than slowly pulling it. Then again, I also recognize that each bird is different and their needs are different.

Any thoughts?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Wow, what a good question!

I had myself convinced that it would be best to make the change and not introduce facetime.
Then a few moments later, I began to think that it might indeed ease the transition.

I think I'm liking facetime, with gradual diminishing.

Seeing the bird's reaction might give you a better idea. If it's upsetting, then I'd say stop. If it seems pleasant or soothing, then I'd go with it.

Let's see what others think!

Congratulations, by the way, and thank you for taking this darling in. The previous parronts must be so relieved...

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
My macaw responds really well to the television.

There is no doubt that once a positive relationship is built that it may continue with positive verbals and images.

There is no way to know from my view point/experience whether your bird continue positively if physical interaction is factored in. ....Everything in moderation...

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
What a bitter sweet question. Do you face time and maybe prolong the separation anxiety, or make a clean break? I have one question - have you and wife been spending time at the B&Gs house getting acquainted? Hope so , but I would like to know, and for how long?

OP
Boozieshome

Boozieshome

May 26, 2017
The Woodlands, TX
Parrots
Bonnie and Clyde, Umbrella 'Toos, and BoozieToo, a double yellow Amazon. RIP Boozie, Blue crowned mealy Amazon
What a bitter sweet question. Do you face time and maybe prolong the separation anxiety, or make a clean break? I have one question - have you and wife been spending time at the B&Gs house getting acquainted? Hope so , but I would like to know, and for how long?

No, it isn't possible. Several states away. We have a long drive back and we will both be there to calm him and interact a little.

Most Reactions

Latest posts