After the storm.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
camera004-5.jpg
After last nights storm we have had bad news after bad news. To top it all off, after rescuing the fish I came in to do the birds, I noticed then that one of my cockatiels, Gemini, has decided to pluck himself nearly bald. :( I am hoping that this is due to the storm and not some underlying problems. We are off the the vets as soon as possible.

Pics of Gemini
camera006-2.jpg

camera001-2.jpg

Unfortunately this doesn't show the full extent of his plucking, He has plucked all the underneath of his wings, legs and has started on his neck.

I'll let you know how we get on after we see the vet.

Eclectica

Oct 8, 2006
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Dory - Cockatiel
O my, i hope you get good news. I think you had a bad enough time with the storm and fish, and now Gemini!:( Hope all goes well at the vet, keep us updated on whats going on with him. I know how you feel, this ringneck of mine dont pluck it just falls out, but its terrible to see them that way.

Goodluck, i hope you get good news and that its nothing serious.
Your in my thoughts!!!:eek:

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thanks Kelli and Wilma, it means a lot. When you don't have a plucker you don't really realise how it feels when a bird starts plucking. I now know, and its a horrible feeling. I just feel so bad for Gemini and wish I could help him. All I can do for him at the moment is mist him regularly and get him to the vet. :(

I'll keep you all informed.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
We had a vets appointment for Gemini today as we were waiting in the waiting room a guy came in with his Too in a really bad way, In the end, we swapped appointments so now I'm going back at 4.45 will explain everything later.

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
I have had (prize) chicken eat the feathers off each other (free range) and that ways stressful... we also had some that would eat the eggs, and that is just bad for the breeders... end up having to remove them from the flock and cage them up :(
I would freak if my grey ever started plucking... :eek:

I am still looking for a vet that will take birds, found a few near by, but I want to check them out first (make sure they meet my standards)

As it is I have two vets already, one for the cat and one for the bf's ferrets. I am hopping to find a vet that will do all my critters, but alas I think I live in the wrong area for that.

Anyways my thought are with you and Gemini.

(sorry I can be such a talker :D think it is the excitment)

ordenrahl

Nov 9, 2006
VT
Parrots
Lucky, a 10 year old Eclectus
I have read you can weave palm grass in and out of the cage bars to give them something else to preen instead of themselves, which might help distract him from plucking. You can find this stuff online for sure and probably at a local bird shop. Hopefully you can tackle this problem before it becomes habit forming.

Let us know how the vet appointment goes.

OP
P

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
ordenrahl said:
I have read you can weave palm grass in and out of the cage bars to give them something else to preen instead of themselves, which might help distract him from plucking. You can find this stuff online for sure and probably at a local bird shop. Hopefully you can tackle this problem before it becomes habit forming.

Let us know how the vet appointment goes.

I have all sort of preener toys in their cage, but have to admit never though of palm grass, I'll be giving that a go.

Thats one thing I don't want is for the plucking to become a habit.

darkchi, a great thing for Greys, is Palm nuts, they would only need a couple a night, and they are nice and oily for them.

I also have a couple of vets, one for my dogs/cats and rabbits when they were still with us and Mr Jones, my avian vet.

It is so nice to see people looking round for a good avian vet BEFORE they get their bird, so often people never think of their baby becoming ill or needing a check up.

Don't worry about talking, there is no such thing as talking TOO MUCH on this forum. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts