KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots
Bubbles- An aqua and white female fancy parakeet

Star- An aqua and yellow (probably) male fancy parakeet

Kiwi- RIP my sweet little green boi TwT
I’m not sure why, but every afternoon when we start to dim the lights and turn on the AC, my budgies immediately fluff up, groom, and start napping. I’ve read in some places that this is a sign of sickness, and in other places that this is okay. Here’s a picture, Bubbles noticed the iPad and wanted to bite it, so she wasn’t napping.
374B84CB-A813-4A05-8AB9-7F8F579E19D3.jpeg

OP
KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots

naps are ok, not ok would be sleeping all day
Okay, thanks! The problem is that they do this for a while, like from 1 to 5… I’m not sure if they aren’t sleeping well or if they’re just tired…

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Some of my birds take long afternoon naps as well. As long as they are active the rest of the time and not fluffed up it may just be that they are exhausting themselves while they are awake playing..

OP
KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots

Some of my birds take long afternoon naps as well. As long as they are active the rest of the time and not fluffed up it may just be that they are exhausting themselves while they are awake playing..
Yeah, my birds usually play a lot in the morning and rest later…

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
How much sleep do they get at night? BTW, they are beautiful!

OP
KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots

Thanks again! And… more than us. They go to bed around 7 or 8 and wake themselves up around 6… But my family stays awake and does mostly quiet things until 10 or 11. I’m not sure if this affects their sleep or not as we always cover their cage.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I think that it wouldn't affect them that much with you being quiet and them covered.

OP
KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots

Alright, thanks!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
You mentioned dimming the lights. This will have a direct effect. In nature, dimming light either means increasing clouds, thus possible poor weather approaching, or else sun getting low. So, any well-fed healthy bird will settle itself into safety, fluff up, & relax. Naps are always in order.

Combine dimming the lights with cooling the room (you said you dim lights and turn on AC), and this will just enhance that effect.

I have room darkening curtains in my living room (bird room), and will close them on bright sunny days if I need my budgies to return to their cage. They take their time about it, but they will do so, and then will sit and relax and half-nap.

So IF you want your birds to be more active at certain time, brightening the lights will help.

OP
KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

KiwiAndBubblesBudgies1

Aug 14, 2021
Media
Wayne, PA
Parrots

Oh! Alright, thanks. I think I’ll try keeping the lights on and see what happens.

Most Reactions

Latest posts