Age help please!! GCC

a.linacarvin

Jan 25, 2021
PA
Parrots
mango: pineapple or cinnamon green cheek conure ,, male
sweet pea: black-capped conure ,, unknown
RIP ,, river: pineapple or cinnamon green cheek conure ,, assumed female ,,
Hello! I recently got my pineapple GCC and she’s a sweetheart. She recently got used to me so now I’ve gotten to bond with her. Though I’ve heard from a few people it’s difficult to tell how old conures are, are there any things that may give some clues? She has no band, so I can’t contact anyone about information. Thank you so much!! Here’s a photo of her. If other photos are needed I can send more.
1F08619C-8448-44D0-B60F-757BD41F4822.jpeg

jeninec11769

Nov 8, 2021
california
Parrots
Paulie and Phoebe GCC
She's beautiful! Sorry I am not too sure how to tell of the age of them either. But she is Beatuiful! looks like my Paulie.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forum.
Were did you get her?
She looks a little cold with feathers fluffed around her face, what's tge temp there.
As burds can hide being sick, yiu want to be careful, a check by an avsin vet is a good idea.
So much to learn as a new owner!
A good diet is very important, lots of safe veggies and leafy greens should be part of the djet, as well as occasionally raspberry, blackberry, strawberries, grapes are just a rare treat
Quality seed mix and pellets.
And read up on household dangers to burds like non stick Teflon, ect

OP
a.linacarvin

a.linacarvin

Jan 25, 2021
PA
Parrots
Welcome to the forum.
Were did you get her?
She looks a little cold with feathers fluffed around her face, what's tge temp there.
As burds can hide being sick, yiu want to be careful, a check by an avsin vet is a good idea.
So much to learn as a new owner!
A good diet is very important, lots of safe veggies and leafy greens should be part of the djet, as well as occasionally raspberry, blackberry, strawberries, grapes are just a rare treat
Quality seed mix and pellets.
And read up on household dangers to burds like non stick Teflon, ect
Hello! yes, she’s perfectly okay. i had just finished petting her so her feathers were a little ruffled. we keep it in the late sixties, mid seventies. i got her from todd marcus birds exotic in new jersey and have her on a full chop diet with seeds sprinkled in as a little treat. i also use seeds for training. we have made sure to remove/not use all non bird safe things in our house like candles and air fresheners. i want to get her to a avian vet soon but we need to purchase a carrier cage to transport her.

OP
a.linacarvin

a.linacarvin

Jan 25, 2021
PA
Parrots
She's beautiful! Sorry I am not too sure how to tell of the age of them either. But she is Beatuiful! looks like my Paulie.
it’s alright!! your bird is gorgeous aswell!! i love the name. :)

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Hello and welcome!

As the other members mentioned, it is quite impossible to tell an age of a bird once it has it's adult plumage. Usually it is possible to make an estimation for very very young birds, or very very old ones, but even that's not a rule. Very smooth, non scaly/flaky legs could hint that it is a young bird, but not necessarily. This is applicable for all parrots.

For example, our budgie that was found over 7 years ago, was already an adult, but it is estimated that it was a young adult seeing her feet and beak was very smooth. She already had her adult plumage, but it is hard to say if she was maybe under a year, a year or maybe 3, or even more years. For sure she was somewhat young as she is still with us and still very active.

For GCCs they already get their adult plumage with the first moult which can be as early as 5-6 months. As younglings they might have more roundish eyes (baby eyes), and in other pyrrhura species which have prominent iris colouration (like the white eared or painted conures), the iris colour will start showing somewhere around age of 10months, even though they already have their plumage. With GCCs this is much harder as they have brown irises so it's not noticable.

Tl;dr - it is truly impossible to estimate the age of a bird.

OP
a.linacarvin

a.linacarvin

Jan 25, 2021
PA
Parrots
Hello and welcome!

As the other members mentioned, it is quite impossible to tell an age of a bird once it has it's adult plumage. Usually it is possible to make an estimation for very very young birds, or very very old ones, but even that's not a rule. Very smooth, non scaly/flaky legs could hint that it is a young bird, but not necessarily. This is applicable for all parrots.

For example, our budgie that was found over 7 years ago, was already an adult, but it is estimated that it was a young adult seeing her feet and beak was very smooth. She already had her adult plumage, but it is hard to say if she was maybe under a year, a year or maybe 3, or even more years. For sure she was somewhat young as she is still with us and still very active.

For GCCs they already get their adult plumage with the first moult which can be as early as 5-6 months. As younglings they might have more roundish eyes (baby eyes), and in other pyrrhura species which have prominent iris colouration (like the white eared or painted conures), the iris colour will start showing somewhere around age of 10months, even though they already have their plumage. With GCCs this is much harder as they have brown irises so it's not noticable.

Tl;dr - it is truly impossible to estimate the age of a bird.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help. :)

Ma2s

Oct 3, 2021
PA
Parrots
Timneh-Cape Hybrid,
Blue-crowned Conure
Hello! yes, she’s perfectly okay. i had just finished petting her so her feathers were a little ruffled. we keep it in the late sixties, mid seventies. i got her from todd marcus birds exotic in new jersey and have her on a full chop diet with seeds sprinkled in as a little treat. i also use seeds for training. we have made sure to remove/not use all non bird safe things in our house like candles and air fresheners. i want to get her to a avian vet soon but we need to purchase a carrier cage to transport her.
Todd Marcus birds exotic has provided me with hatch dates in the past, always try to ask them first.

Most Reactions

Latest posts