Aggressive behavior; lunging, biting, flying at me

birdresq

Aug 26, 2021
Hi all, I am going to try and make this as descriptive as possible.

I rescued two amazons; one yellow naped (Kilo)and one yellow headed (Pete) about 2/3 months ago. Iwas told they are both male, however, have I not confirmed that. They have always been together, I was told that they were ~6 years old. They have 2 cages and were always used to staying out of the cages, would go in to eat but the door was always open. When I first brought them here, I gave them their own room (they still have that) and Kilo (yellow naped, significantly larger) seemed to be more aggressive than Pete (yellow headed). Pete was open to step up, not Kilo. However, out of nowhere a couple weeks in, I noticed Pete started becoming significantly aggressive. Kilo would attack him if I was in the room and Pete would fly at me and bite me. They are both pretty communicative and say a lot of things their previous owner must have taught them, although most of it is incomprehensible. Now whenever I come in the room, Pete immediately becomes agitated/excited, he puffs up, fans his tail and flies at me, lands on me and bites, HARD. I have been calm and attempted to navigate this, but I am having trouble finding the CAUSE. Is it ME? Am I failing them? I literally cannot come into the room without getting attacked. This morning I had to towel him which was even more traumatic for them I'm sure because he absolutely did not want to be touched, handled. He flew away a lot and at me a lot as well. I was able to get him in the cage, however he is mumbling and clearly very upset, which really breaks my heart. Kilo is outside of the cage and watching me, but allows me occasionally to rub his neck, NEVER step up from the cage, however. In fact if I come near the cage, try to feed them they attack me now.

Please help , I am worried I have lost my chance at any healthy relationship with them and I love them dearly.

Thank you.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It is never to late at all ever to improve relationships.
The Amazon folks will be here soon to give advice.
I just wanted you not to worry, there are lots if things to do and try to improve relationships. Many burds gaurd cage , tgey can be much easier to work with outside of cage

OP
B

birdresq

Aug 26, 2021
It is never to late at all ever to improve relationships.
The Amazon folks will be here soon to give advice.
I just wanted you not to worry, there are lots if things to do and try to improve relationships. Many burds gaurd cage , tgey can be much easier to work with outside of cage
Much appreciated! Thank you

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
This is the hormonal season for amazon parrots in North America.
My yellow nape is acting up but not to that extent.
He is 37 y.o. So heā€™s not a spring chicken.
He doesnā€™t fly and he knows he canā€™t fly but if he sees something that riles him up right now he tries anyway.
I donā€™t have an answer but if it is hormonal it will pass.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Changes in behavior of Amazon in the Northern Hemisphere is fairly common as noted above. Hormonal Season is a real thing with Amazons that are young adults and older.

We have been very lucky this year with our DYH Amazon. We work to keep him on a natural Sunlight schedule and that requires that he sleeps longer hours (near sixteen here in the great white North). Following a natural Sunlight schedule will assure that for our Amazon sometime between Christmas and mid-January the evil monster will come-out in full fury. When is spins into a Chemically Driven Hormonal Rush, we give him room and state over and over again: This To Shall Pass!!

If this is strictly behavior driven! You need to change your interaction with your Amazon. It is very possible that you have or someone else is causing his lack of trust in Humans. The wonderful part of Amazons is that will let you start over from Step One with redeveloping a Trust Relationship.

Cheers

Most Reactions

Latest posts