Aggressive conures

Fightonrob

Sep 2, 2020
Hello everyone,

So about 3 weeks ago I got a pair of green cheek conures from a breeder. They have been sort of aggressive, from biting my hands and ears, to ripping off a mole of my shoulder. Trying to figure out why the aggressive behavior and how to stop it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
We do not have enough information to work on. If you can show us video(s) of their behavior and how you're handling them that would be best. As for the mole, that sounds like grooming behavior rather than aggression.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear you’re having problems with your two Conures. Can you please give us some more info so we can learn more about the situation?

When do they act aggressive? Each time you handle them or only at certain times? For example only around food, only when on your shoulder, etc.

It sounds like they are fairly new to your household - how comfortable are they interacting with you in general? Are you forcing interactions with them or letting them come to you on their terms?

It’s important to learn and understand your bird’s body language. What is their body language like before these incidents occur?

Also, it’s important to understand that not all biting is aggression. Parrots use their beak like a hand and are naturally curious. A little nibble here and there is not an act of aggression but just exploration. Sometimes they use too much pressure for our liking as they explore. That’s when you can work on bite pressure training to teach them what is and isn’t acceptable pressure.

jennilbar

Apr 6, 2023
Parrots
Two green-cheek conures
I am having similar issues with one of my two conures showing more aggression lately! Grooming for them is natural, but for me it can still hurt! I think they are more used to my husband because they prefer him, and they would groom his beard, and it gives them something to grab on to - with me, I am lacking in the facial hair department so they have nothing to grab on to except for skin! My natural reaction is that it hurts and I immediately want it to stop! I can't always control my immediate reactions and of course don't want or mean to potentially frighten them. I have seen a lot of negative feedback about gloves in here, which I can understand, but I am sick and tired of being bit! Are there good ways to reinforce better behavior and stop biting?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I have mild eczema, and parrot grooming turns my skin beet red and can be uncomfortable! Pulling off moles does sound like overly earnest grooming to me - without more info I’m not sure what else to say. Conures can be very thorough groomers, haha.

Most Reactions

Latest posts