Aggressive Mango

MangoTheParrot

Feb 18, 2021
Media
Hello all im new to the forum here and I love that there is a community for bird lovers. I myself am new to pet birds but my wife has always loved birds and so I recently decided to buy my wife a red cheeked sun conure. She's beautiful her name is mango. I found her through offerup and prior to getting her we were told that she's still bitey and she certainly is. She was my wife's valentines gift and she has become extremely loyal to her day one. She will fly to my wife and she nips but very little. She flies to her shoulder even in other rooms however the issue is that she's aggressive to EVERYONE else. She has flown from my wife's shoulder to several people biting their face and even drawing blood. Im not sure how to handle the situation. No one is mean to her and we were told she was previously a man's bird so its odd that she attacks everyone now. I dont know how we can discipline her without having her fear us. At the moment my wife puts her back in her cage when she attacks others but it hasn't seemed to do much yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks!:rainbow1::rainbow1:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SO you need to keep something in mind. Parrots are smart, very smart. Not like dog and cat smart. They are capable of figuring things out and manipulating their environment to suit themselves.

Your wife needs to stop putting him back in the cage when he bites. All that is doing is reinforcing his behavior. When he wants to go back to his cage, he attacks and bites, and Viola' , he gets what he wants. Better is to use the "Shunning" method. When he bites IMMEDIATELY put him down on a chair back, arm rest, floor and turn your back to him for a minute, no more. No eye contact! Parrots hate being ignored. No more time, or he will forget why he is there, and you need to do it immediately so he cpnnects the 2 actions.

Punishment, they way children are punished, does not work with parrots. Yo have to really get inside their heads to understand behavior and ways to alter it.

OP
M

MangoTheParrot

Feb 18, 2021
Media
I'll definitely let her know so we can give this a shot. Both myself and our son have been bit on the neck when we get close to my wife. Mango will be on her shoulder and the next thing we know she's flying at us and clinging on to our necks. She's extremely loving and cuddly towards my wife she sometimes bites but not really aggressive with her at all compared to us.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
You also need to be extremely consistent with it. You cannot give any leeway and not do it one time "cuz it wasn't that bad" that will just lead to confusion and frustration on all parties.

Most Reactions