Ahhh that's better

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Here in the UK we normally enjoy what is generally considered a temperate climate. Not too hot and not too cold compared with places in the rest of the world. But today with absolutely no build up we had just under 40c. That's just over 100f. It's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow.

Now for me. that's hot and I was waiting to see how Syd felt about it. He was sleepy all morning as the temperature rose and when I let him out all he wanted to do was roost on the back of my neck and we both got even hotter. You really don't need even a very small feather duvet in a heatwave! We had lunch and the mercury went higher and I had a wet flannel to help cool me down. I suddenly thought Syd might like to stand on it so laid it out on the worktop for him. After all dogs cool down through their feet. He wasn't having any of it. No amount of cajoling would make him step onto it. It was only when I manhandled him to stand on it that he suddenly realised and his face was a picture as the cool cloth eased his baking feet. He looked at me with what I can only describe as pure joy. A woman wearing new stilettos for the whole day and finally removing her sore feet from torture could not have looked more relieved.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry for that awful heat wave y'all are enduring! I feel bad about moaning about how hot I am here.
Great idea to get him on that wet towel! I wouldn't have ever thought of that.
I hope you won't have to worry about that for too long though. Sending cool air wishes your way:)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh T00t, that weather is HOT no matter where you live, even for us here in Briz Vegas! I wouldn't have thought of the wet towel either, quite ingenious, and I would love to have seen that look of bliss on Syd's little face! I'm reluctant sometimes to give my guys a big bath when it's REALLY hot, Fang just looks even hotter with his wet feathers all stuck down to him, so I often just mist their feet through the day when it's awfully hot like that. One of our members in NSW pops ice cubes in her birds' water too which seems to help.

Hoping the heatwave is short lived and for a return to normal conditions for you very soon!🙏

Oh and PS I will gladly take a few of those excess degrees off your hands if you like, we are freezing our proverbials off down here!!

Last edited:
OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Show Syd a spray bottle and he takes off as if a dragon is after him. I do put his water bottles in the fridge and refresh as the day goes on. Today he is in his favourite place just at the back of my neck again, probably fast asleep. We have everything shut down, blinds closed as they promise well over 40c today. It feels like a type of hibernation. However tomorrow we will apparently be back to normal and possibly shivering after these couple of days.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
🌬️🌬️🌬️🌬️🌬️ this is me blowing our notoriously cold and wintry westerly desert winds your way! Actually I can't complain too much, our overnight minimums are back into double digits tonite :)

Most Reactions