Albie has become obsessed with my lips.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
He latches on very gently and just licks? My lip. It is the weirdest sensation. He doesn't try to get in my mouth, he just wants my lip, he's very insistant on it, to the point he will grab my lip with his little toes. He will even hang upside down off my glasses to get at my lips.

How the heck do I discourage this? I really don't want him getting ill from my saliva, no do I want a nasty bite because I'm trying to shift him and he then grabs on for dear life (been bitten on my lip by a dog and I do not want to experience that again) He doesn't do this at all with hubby. I have that special privilege.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
It’s the masks! At one time the sight of an ankle brought scorn and excitement! Now, lips, naked? In the sunlight?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I feel hubby must capture pictures of this and share with us!@@

Ta-dah like kisees too, I give a lip bump, or tight lipped no yucky human germs for her! Sometimes she wants to pry apart my lips...

To help discourage.. its been awhile since I talked about my " bad flag " ..i have this very small hand held USA flag. Ta-dah went through a period of be on my shoulders and not stepping off. She would duck dodge and climb down my back, then run up and bit my ears.. so i pick up the little flag in left hand hold it at arms length. She would then run don to my right hand. I never chased her with it. After awhile, if she was not coming down I just had to point st the flag or walk towards it and she would come to my hand.

I think something like that would work for you. And this " negativeish" thing wouldn't be directly associated with you. When ever she goes after lips raise up tge " bad flag,," it will make her stop as she will be on alert. If keep at as far from her as possible, you dont want out right fear, just a reset of her mind. Quickly she will associate ...probably did a crsp job of explaining.. but this will work without fuss, and without breaking your bond or making her mad at you

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Just as you don't want his beaky inside your mouth because of the bacteria, you prolly don't want his feets/claws in yours, because they often walk around and get poops on the bottoms of the feet and claws.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Just as you don't want his beaky inside your mouth because of the bacteria, you prolly don't want his feets/claws in yours, because they often walk around and get poops on the bottoms of the feet and claws.

Exactly this!! It's gross!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'd just try and keep turning my head or moving him when he tries...Lips (even when dry) still have bacteria on them from saliva.

Mine is obsessed with my eyes...lol

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
eyes... oh I'd freak out!

I'm so used to it now....lol....She doesn't touch my eyeball (it's that tear-duct area she always wants to check, and she acts like she finds things there even where she definitely doesn't usually)-- it's like a compulsive preening instinct. I worry more about her eating makeup...and the fact that she feels like this is normal and demands to do it to other people who she likes but barely knows...OY! One of these days I may lose one, but so far, both remain intact lol.

Most Reactions