Albie has started biting Mr.stitch hard.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
We need help.

Albie has started becoming very possessive over me and is now starting to bite my husband in a very nasty, and hard way.

Tonight , we were sat cuddling on the sofa watching tv, albie was sat in mr.stitches hand , purring softly ,foot curled up , eyes half closed and seemed happy, when suddenly out of the blue ,albie latched on to his lip in a very nasty way.

Previously hes done the same sort of thing but bitten hands /arms for being near me .

How can we stop this ? We currently do time outs ,and we put him in his cage (not after hes bitten as i dont want to make him learn biting = going away qnd then doing ot to BE put away if tbat makes sense ?) Mr stitch is also not reacting to the bites

Right now hes back to beong his sweet adorable kissey self , im not in the sane room and i can hear the happy kisses and trilling and "love you"s so its not like he has taken a dislike to mr.stitch.

His diet is fresh veggies , tropican pellets with a small amount of seed mix . He very very rarely gets fruit /sugary things as this makes him violent

He goes to bed with me at about half 9/10 and we are up when he starts making noise around 7:30ish

We dont really know what to do with this behavior . Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh little Albie!!

I haven't been through this myself so hopefully others will chime in, but I'm hoping this is a seasonal impulse on Albie's part and that this year will be the worst of it!

I can already tell my Quaker is going to be a handful when he hits puberty :) so I'm taking notes on what everyone has done when our lovey birds go rogue like this!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Oh no! It does sounds like he’s being possessive or protective of you. Does Mr. Stitch spend any one-on-one bonding time with him? Or mostly when you are there as well? If not maybe try having him feed Albie treats and bond with him alone for a little each day?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Do you think clipping Albie would slow him down any?

I’m not sure how you can convince Albie that you are not “his woman” and that it’s never going to work out with you two.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
@onamom Albie has plenty of 1-1 time with hubby as he works from home and i dont . He sends me cute little clips of them doung training or photos of them cuddling.

@HeatherG no , i dont think clipping him would work , as he isnt flying over to attack , hes already with us on the sofa when he does it . Albie wont bite mr.stitch if we arent sat next to each other , say if he is on the pc close to me and im on the sofa ,Albie will be totally fine and not fussed about it.

If we are in bed watching stuff and albie is having a bed time snuggle , again , he will be absolutely fine . Its literally just when we are on the sofa cuddling while watching tv

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
It's just me and Syd in my house so this doesn't come up but what I have noticed is that sometimes something on the TV will change his behaviour. He's fairly hormonal at present and 98% of the time I can predict him. If he bites me too hard - he never draws blood anymore - I tell him off but I also squeal to show that I'm hurt. I went with the stoical response as per the advice way back when he was younger but have discovered that if there is no doubt in his mind that I am hurt and I put him away from me his reaction is far more intense. I rarely cage him at these moments often simply pushing him away so he has to fly from me. I feel this gives him more idea of being ostracised from the flock. I find he tends to study me for quite a while and I'll even continue the hurt whimper so he is in no doubt the reason he is away from me and in time he will creep back looking quite worried and we make friends again. He is at the point now where a firm no will stop him in his tracks doing most things and a very firm OFF will put him to flight up to the top of his cage.

Sounds on the TV or radio will often cause reactions in him while I have not even noticed. When he is out now I try to be aware of the background noises to see what affects him. It can be a sudden louder noise, high pitched sounds or something and if he is near me it can often cause a nip. He is so much more aware of all the things that I take for granted, and his responses much more basic.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Maybe don’t watch tv on the sofa with your husband and Albie? That might be the best—to avoid the over exciting situation.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Thats what i dont get, we can watch stuff cuddled up in bed on the laptop or the tablet and be totally fine with us , yet if we try on the sofa , its a no go. Surely if it was what we are watching triggering it ,he be attacking us in bed too ...right?

Maybe its not us , maybe hes trying to protect the sofa from us ? And thats why its only when we are on the sofa ?

Why do they have to be adorable bitey weirdos ?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Just a thought - is he actually getting enough sleep? Syd has 12 hours 7.30 - 7.30am or slightly longer if I don't rush. He still has odd naps in the day often on my shoulder but always after lunch on his top perch.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
He wont go to bed any earlier than 10pm as he will just scream and contact call and will not settle.ive left him for about an hour before worrying about neighbours complaining and he wakes up at 7:00/7:30 if im lucky .

He naps during the day too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts