Alexandrine losing feathers

Ashham

Feb 21, 2021
Parrots
Alexandrine Parrot
Hi, this is my first post here. I have a baby alexandrine, he is 65 days old. In the last two days he shed 5 feathers from his wings. Is this normal? His diet include a mixture of cooked green gram, wheat pellets, lentils chickpeas, carrots, and bird formula once a day. Also gives watermelon ,homemade apple sauce, ripe plantain in moderation. Please help.

Thanks .

Last edited:

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Are the feathers damaged?

If you put them next to each other do they look like matching opposites? If they do then it's probably a normal molt. I don't know when they have their first one, but they will drop opposite feathers from each side of their bodies.

Again, I'm afraid I don't know specifically about a bird that young, but the diet sounds OK. Maybe aim for more vegetables, I think it might be a bit heavy on the pulses (although I don't know if green gram is a vegetable or a pulse) and I don't know what wheat pellets are, but if it is anything to do with wheat/flour/bread I don't think it's good for parrots and might just bulk up food without adding nutrition.

OP
A

Ashham

Feb 21, 2021
Parrots
Alexandrine Parrot
Are the feathers damaged?

If you put them next to each other do they look like matching opposites? If they do then it's probably a normal molt. I don't know when they have their first one, but they will drop opposite feathers from each side of their bodies.

Again, I'm afraid I don't know specifically about a bird that young, but the diet sounds OK. Maybe aim for more vegetables, I think it might be a bit heavy on the pulses (although I don't know if green gram is a vegetable or a pulse) and I don't know what wheat pellets are, but if it is anything to do with wheat/flour/bread I don't think it's good for parrots and might just bulk up food without adding nutrition.
They look like matching opposites and i can see gaps in his wings. But molting in a baby this young is unexpected thats why I registered at the forum.and yes green gram is a pulse its good source of protein and dietary fibre. His diet also includes finger millets peanut and almonds. Thanks for the suggestion and will bring down the wheat.

Most Reactions