Alexandrine vs eclectus

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
Hey guys,
Youā€™re all probably aware that I have been researching different species for over 4 years now and I have reached my next point of questioning for the wealth of knowledge on this site

I am quite aware that there are already threads on this topic but none have answered all my questions as of yet, so, more questions!

While at the title does say alexandrine, I am also interested in their close relative the derbyan.

This will be my first parrot so I want to get it right the first time.

First off, how do they compare noise wise - who is more likely to make more noise more often and who is more likely to be loud less often.

Secondly, which species is more likely to be content with simply entertaining themselves while near me for some of the time and which is more likely to need costant hands on attention.

Finally I would appreciate any brief or detailed day in the life sort for each bird

I do know that every bird is an individual, I also wonā€™t be getting my bird for most likely another few years as I want to have a secure living and financial situation, I am also aware of eclectus dietary needs and cage requirements of both.

I know I sound like Iā€™m thinking too deeply about it but I really enjoy learning as much as possible about these animals so itā€™s a really fun little hobby really.

All other advice is welcome! And thanks for reading!

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
Hey guys,
Youā€™re all probably aware that I have been researching different species for over 4 years now and I have reached my next point of questioning for the wealth of knowledge on this site

I am quite aware that there are already threads on this topic but none have answered all my questions as of yet, so, more questions!

While at the title does say alexandrine, I am also interested in their close relative the derbyan.

This will be my first parrot so I want to get it right the first time.

First off, how do they compare noise wise - who is more likely to make more noise more often and who is more likely to be loud less often.

Secondly, which species is more likely to be content with simply entertaining themselves while near me for some of the time and which is more likely to need costant hands on attention.

Finally I would appreciate any brief or detailed day in the life sort for each bird

I do know that every bird is an individual, I also wonā€™t be getting my bird for most likely another few years as I want to have a secure living and financial situation, I am also aware of eclectus dietary needs and cage requirements of both.

I know I sound like Iā€™m thinking too deeply about it but I really enjoy learning as much as possible about these animals so itā€™s a really fun little hobby really.

All other advice is welcome! And thanks for reading!
Bump for replies?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I've never owned either species but I've heard both species scream.
Perhaps other ringneck and eclectus owners will reply?

As far as I know, Alexandrines have very shrill calls and will do it for longer amounts of time.
Now the eclectus I heard was female and she just about gave me a migraine lol.

Anyways, hope you receive more helpful info!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I have no experience with alexandrines, but I have my awesome ekkie boy. It's not super often, and generally a contact call for me specifically, when I walk by without giving him the attention he wants RIGHT NOW! The ekkie scream is is harsh. And loud. In fact, I have him because he was rehomed due to the screaming. Previous owner had severe PTSD and the screaming triggered him badly. The more stressed the guy got, the more Tucker screamed. Thank goodness he had the sense to realize before it was too late, he was going to hurt Tucker, or himself, so he surrendered him to the refuge.

I truly believe in the empath nature of our birds. They see what we feel. In Tucker's case, if I'm not feeling 100%, he knows, and wants to be with me to make me feel better. If I don't pay attention to that and walk by without acknowledging it, he'll scream. He's taught me well. They never cease to amaze me. :)

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
I've never owned either species but I've heard both species scream.
Perhaps other ringneck and eclectus owners will reply?

As far as I know, Alexandrines have very shrill calls and will do it for longer amounts of time.
Now the eclectus I heard was female and she just about gave me a migraine lol.

Anyways, hope you receive more helpful info!
Thank you for your reply! They sure do have a shrill scream, I donā€™t mind volume so much as pitch

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
I have no experience with alexandrines, but I have my awesome ekkie boy. It's not super often, and generally a contact call for me specifically, when I walk by without giving him the attention he wants RIGHT NOW! The ekkie scream is is harsh. And loud. In fact, I have him because he was rehomed due to the screaming. Previous owner had severe PTSD and the screaming triggered him badly. The more stressed the guy got, the more Tucker screamed. Thank goodness he had the sense to realize before it was too late, he was going to hurt Tucker, or himself, so he surrendered him to the refuge.

I truly believe in the empath nature of our birds. They see what we feel. In Tucker's case, if I'm not feeling 100%, he knows, and wants to be with me to make me feel better. If I don't pay attention to that and walk by without acknowledging it, he'll scream. He's taught me well. They never cease to amaze me. :)
Tucker is such a clever lucky little man!
I desperately want to rescue an ekkie theyā€™re really common to find up for sale Here once they reach about 2 years old and people canā€™t handle them.
Iā€™ve never had a bird before but I have been researching for years now and donā€™t think I should get a bird I donā€™t really want just so I can get another that I do, it feels cruel.

Although I might become addicted and adopt a dozen more birds lol!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I think it's great to be doing the research ahead of time, so you have an idea of what to do when the time comes. If you have a rescue near you that you could volunteer at, or at least visit regularly, it's really one of the best ways to meet different birds and learn. Perhaps when the time is right, that special one will choose you. Might be an ekkie, or something completely off the radar, but you'll know... This is the one, it just feels right. :)

chiconacho

Dec 9, 2022
Korea.seoul
Parrots
<font class="papago-parent"><font class="papago-source" style="display:none;">ecletus 3 , alexanderparrot 2 , conure 8</font>ecletus 3 , alexanderparrot 2 , conure 8</font>
Alexandrine & eclectus , i have both kinds.
If you compare the noise problem, it would be different between parrot individuals rather than species characteristics.
My alexander the male is calm and He's cute and likes to interact with people. on the other hand female is toooo much noisy,
She prefer to eat rather than think about sociality first.
Even if they are the same species, they have different personalities and different problems depending on their gender.
Noise problems certainly exist because both types of parrots speak well.
It is most ideal to separate my space from the birds. you'll have enough fun with the parrots and should also give the parrots time to stay alone.
Like a couple fighting when they're together every day.šŸ˜…
Rather than raising two kinds of parrots one by one, I would recommend raising one kind of parrots but male and female.

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
Alexandrine & eclectus , i have both kinds.
If you compare the noise problem, it would be different between parrot individuals rather than species characteristics.
My alexander the male is calm and He's cute and likes to interact with people. on the other hand female is toooo much noisy,
She prefer to eat rather than think about sociality first.
Even if they are the same species, they have different personalities and different problems depending on their gender.
Noise problems certainly exist because both types of parrots speak well.
It is most ideal to separate my space from the birds. you'll have enough fun with the parrots and should also give the parrots time to stay alone.
Like a couple fighting when they're together every day.šŸ˜…
Rather than raising two kinds of parrots one by one, I would recommend raising one kind of parrots but male and female.
Fantastic advice, thank you so much
I really love both species, eclectus are very cheap where I live some less than 500$ Alexandrines are even cheaper, I love derbyan parakeets so much but they are so expensive itā€™s ridiculous. Iā€™m also considering a Meyers but they can be a similar price to derbyans. Hopefully Iā€™ll find my heart bird someday

Most Reactions