All 3 of my Parrots Don't Play with Toys

Akula00

Feb 2, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck, Lovebird and Budgie + Finches
The title says it all.

I have been the proud owner of a Green IRN since December and got both a Budgie and a Lovebird a week ago now. The bird I had as a child adored toys, and everyone says to fill your cage with toys, and I do, the thing is... not once have any of them touched any of the toys, except they occasionally take a go on the swings.

I've been thinking about buying out of cage play stands and a boatload of of different toys for them, but it's hard to justify at the moment, given their current lack of engagement.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
The title says it all.

I have been the proud owner of a Green IRN since December and got both a Budgie and a Lovebird a week ago now. The bird I had as a child adored toys, and everyone says to fill your cage with toys, and I do, the thing is... not once have any of them touched any of the toys, except they occasionally take a go on the swings.

I've been thinking about buying out of cage play stands and a boatload of of different toys for them, but it's hard to justify at the moment, given their current lack of engagement.
Is there any foods they really like, such as sunflower or millet? Try hiding it in-between. Are these natural, shreddable toys? Plastic often gets ignored.

Sorry you're having trouble getting them to play with toys, my Sunny took a while to get used to them. She just starting liking them all of a sudden so I can't offer advice..

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
It can help, a lot, if they see you playing with the same toys, cheerfully handling them, making squeals of delight. Sounds silly, right? But this has proven many times to be the impetus for parrots to at least start investigating the toys. After all, why should you have all the fun? Much like eating the foods you are eating, they want what you have!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
According to my parrot guy IRNs take time to adapt it's like an 8 month process before they can be youtube cute. Do they get to interact with each other. Mine prefer destruction toys and legos.... Maybe better?

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I don't know lovebirds, but budgies often love shredding balsa, and IRN shredding any soft wood toys. My ringneck hadn't really played with toys much and he's discovering new toys he likes almost every day now. The suggestion of hiding treats like walnut or millet totally works with my guy. So does playing with them first even though he looks at me like I've lost it more than with curiosity 😆

I will say that getting him coming out of his cage daily has made the biggest difference in his playing more.

OP
A

Akula00

Feb 2, 2022
Parrots
Is there any foods they really like, such as sunflower or millet? Try hiding it in-between. Are these natural, shreddable toys? Plastic often gets ignored.

Sorry you're having trouble getting them to play with toys, my Sunny took a while to get used to them. She just starting liking them all of a sudden so I can't offer advice..
It's funny you mention this, because I've noticed that the Lovebird really likes the only natural/shreddable one he has in there. I think I'm going to spend a little more next week and get them some really good, natural ones instead of what they have now. I didn't realise they could be so... particular lol

OP
A

Akula00

Feb 2, 2022
Parrots
I don't know lovebirds, but budgies often love shredding balsa, and IRN shredding any soft wood toys. My ringneck hadn't really played with toys much and he's discovering new toys he likes almost every day now. The suggestion of hiding treats like walnut or millet totally works with my guy. So does playing with them first even though he looks at me like I've lost it more than with curiosity 😆

I will say that getting him coming out of his cage daily has made the biggest difference in his playing more.
My IRN is EXTREMELY hand shy, so getting him out often turns into a bit of a chaotic affair, but I really want to start doing it more. I replied to a previous comment similarly, but I'll reiterate here that I think (based on my Lovebird's behaviour) they would enjoy proper shreddables.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Since your birds are all in the same household, maybe you could re-sort the toys and give specific toys to the birds who would like them best. Like shreddable toys for the lovebird.

When I buy a toy and my bird doesn’t play with it, I put it away in the bird dresser and try it again later. I also think they can only enjoy so many toys in the cage at one time and so I rotate toys in and out of the cage until they’re devoured.

Most Reactions