all safe?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
so I just want to make 100% sure this is all safe before I make Lincoln's chop. I never really work with flowers/herbs and it's hard finding a good list to go off of.
Everything with a V is what I have and intend to put in. Toppers are put on upon serving though and I'm not sure if I should put the milk thistle under toppers or just mix it into the main batch.

Main:
[v] Squash
[v] brocolli
[v] dandelion greens
[ ] red bell pepper
[ ] orange bell pepper
[v] green bell pepper
[v] habenaro peppers
[v] chille pepper
[v] Red Lentils
[v] Green lentils
[v] green beans
[v] yam

Interchange:
[v] sage
[v] thyme
[v] oregano
[ ] rosemary
[v] cayenne pepper
[v] Ceylon cinnamon

topper:
[v] oats
[v] chia
[v] flax
[v] pumpkin seeds

herbs and flowers and stuff:
[v] Milk thistle
[v] bee pollen
[v] rose hips
[v] hibiscus
[ ] chickweed
[v] parsley
[ ] bottlebrush
[ ] tulips
[ ] honeysuckle
[v] mint
[v] lemongrass
[v] lime leaves

I also want to ask about the rosehips/hibiscus. I couldn't find them fresh but I found them in a tea form. it's just them but is it safe to use in a tea form?

20190101_131745.jpg
20190101_131741.jpg

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Glad you decided not go with tulips - not good food.
(Yes, we did eat those bulbs during WWII, but people were starving to death and there were a lot less pesticides etc in those days)

Some rosehips are very hairy (around the seeds inside) not toxic but can be very irritating (that is why lots of people flame them first - an open flame burns off the tiny hairs).

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
removed tulips from the list. Anything unchecked in the last section I couldnt find at all this time around.

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Everything looks great. Tulips are a hard NO. Anything from a bulb is pretty much off limits.

Chickweed can be a main ingredient green. Safe! You can get this out of your yard in the spring and fall, so long as your yard is untreated.

Honeysuckle is good - Parker rejected this though. But it’s high sugar so moderation please!

Bottlebrush is safe. People often use it as foraging branch in the cage if you’re lucky enough to live in a warmer climate where it will grow.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Does the tea stuff sound okay? I know teas are usually a no because of caffeine but box says "naturally caffeine free" and stuff so ? I don't drink tea so all of this is such new ground to me xD

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Yes, herbal tea should be ok. It’s the regular teas (black, green, oolong, earl grey, etc) made from tea leaves that are going to have caffeine in it.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Everything looks good to me minus the tulips, which you already removed...

***As for the "tea", that isn't really "tea", lol...There's no actual "tea" in that, it's simply dried leaves from the two herbs that you brew, that's why it's "naturally caffeine free"...Most "herbal" teas aren't actually "tea" at all, unless they have some actual tea-leaves added in to the dried herbs. So any herbal-tea that contains no actual "tea" leaves is fine, because it's simply dried leaves from different herbs that you're brewing/drinking.

Just stay away from anything in the Marigold family, they're all pretty toxic.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
20190101_171340.jpg

Food has been made and is so far a hit. Apollo might have even eaten some (hard to tell if he ate it or just walked through it and dragged it around...)

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
yes I have a food processor and a mother to help me out xD

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Apollo was indeed eating the chop! Walked in on him eating more of it. This is the first time I've gotten him to eat something that wasn't the mix he was weaned onto.

Most Reactions

Latest posts