Almost ready for new bird

Cockatielmom18

Sep 23, 2018
Parrots
Pearl (cockatiel)
Kid and Jeordi (budgies)
Kitty, Leia, Chips, Sico, Ginger, (<- RIP), Terrelli, Popularis, Ace, Whiteout, Cetoides, Ada, Lucasi, Oryx, and Tom (chickens)
Hello... I'm back! My last post was unfortunate because my Pearl had passed away. That was November, and it's been a while, and I think by the time I'm back from a trip this summer (which will be late July) I will be ready for a new bird. I'm very close to being emotionally ready.
There's an avian adoption center/rescue not too far from me that I plan to adopt from. They have a wonderful process for "fitting" the bird with the right owner after a few visits.
I am planning on a smaller or medium-sized bird, but here's the thing... I don't control which one I get! The center will fit the bird with my family, and I think I'm able to say no to a bird I don't think I can take care of.
Even though I don't know what species I get, I have ruled out a few I don't want/can't take...
- Green cheeks always bite me... I don't know what it is with them
- Not a huge lovebird person
- I would take a Quaker if i had to, but I'm just not hugely interested
- Nothing super small like a parrotlet or budgie (which I already have)
- My parents have expressed interest in an eclectus, but I don't think we can keep up with the diet of mostly fresh foods. Also an ekkie would be the biggest we could house.
- Even though I like Senegal parrots, I don't know if I could get it through its aggression if it's not already very tame
I have a few "dream birds" that I'd totally take if I could, but every bird is different and I'd just have to see. If I could, I'd LOVE a Poicephalus, Nanday conure, or an ekkie.
Advice for when I don't know in advance what bird I'm getting?

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I think you should come up with a list of birds you'd like and give that list to the adoption center and ask them to try to meet your desires. If they cant and you're not happy with the pic then just say no. I have to believe that they want to adopt out their birds just as much as you want to adopt one so I have to believe that they will work with you.

As you know it's a life long commitment so you being happy and getting something that you want is very important for both you and the wellbeing of the bird.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I think your list is really good as-is. It shows you have thought it through, you are willing to take a bird they choose for you but you are letting them know your concerns and choices as well, so they can take that into account.

Obviously, you would decline if they offered you a bird you feel you couldn't care for. A rescue/adoption center would not want to set-up a bird for a failed adoption. Right?

Do they send you home with a cage? Or, how long after they Assign your bird, do they allow you to prepare its new environment before you bring it home?

OP
C

Cockatielmom18

Sep 23, 2018
Parrots
Pearl (cockatiel)
Kid and Jeordi (budgies)
Kitty, Leia, Chips, Sico, Ginger, (<- RIP), Terrelli, Popularis, Ace, Whiteout, Cetoides, Ada, Lucasi, Oryx, and Tom (chickens)
The website says "many birds come with cages, some do not." I suspect it's mostly larger birds that do not come with cages. Seeing that I'm not looking for a large bird, I think the chance is that I will probably get a cage from the center. If I don't, I can certainly obtain one, but the bird might have to wait before it comes home if we can't get the cage prior to adoption. (We don't know exactly what bird we're getting, hence having to wait until after the "fitting" to get a cage if they don't give us one.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts