Aloha!

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
Aloha! My name is Alec and I’m getting a conure soon. I used to have a reef tank but I wanted a pet that I could bond with and decided a bird is what’s for me. Hopefully this week I’ll be purchasing a cage, I’m looking at this one:
I had two parakeets when I was younger but I was not knowledgeable and had no idea what I was doing. But I’m older now and have been researching for months, I know I will inevitably make mistakes but I look forward to getting critique and fixing them :)

SoberParrots

Aug 15, 2021
North Carolina
Parrots
lineolated parakeet, Bipper
Aloha! My name is Alec and I’m getting a conure soon. I used to have a reef tank but I wanted a pet that I could bond with and decided a bird is what’s for me. Hopefully this week I’ll be purchasing a cage, I’m looking at this one:
I had two parakeets when I was younger but I was not knowledgeable and had no idea what I was doing. But I’m older now and have been researching for months, I know I will inevitably make mistakes but I look forward to getting critique and fixing them :)
Love to hear of improvement! Welcome by the way!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
OP
DeSoto

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
Love to hear of improvement! Welcome by the way!
Thank you!
Welcome to the forum!
You will find lots of help here, please feel free to ask anything:)
I would suggest getting a larger cage for a conure. My Green Cheek is my smallest conure and he is in this cage:
https://www.amazon.ca/Construction-...d=1&keywords=bird+cage&qid=1629062903&sr=8-29

My Sun & Jenday are in cages like this:

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOHOME-Wro...ld=1&keywords=bird+cage&qid=1629062802&sr=8-8

What species of conure are you thinking of getting?
I plan on getting a Green Cheek or a Sun but I’m really leaning to Green Cheek. I also plan for lots of outside time… like let out in the morning and put to bed at night so I assumed the smaller size would be okay especially if it had a perch on top. Are there any better cages that are less expensive? I’m a senior in highschool so I’ve got a tight budget

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
this is what ive got for the green cheek I am getting

It doesnt have the playtop which is a con but its got lots of space both vertically and horizontally and you can always still attach toys and perches to the top and sides to make up for the lack of a playtop

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So let me ask you, what happens to the new parrot when you go off to college? Parrots and being a student ( at any level) is extremely hard to make it work, with the parrot usually getting short end of the stick as far as attention and time out of cage.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Alec, respect for researching before choosing your companion! Hard to go wrong with a conure as ideal mix of size, personality, and longevity. New cages ideal though you might dig through Craigslist and other venues for a quality enclosure with minimal use. Thorough cleaning can restore to like-new condition. Playtop configuration as posted ideal and popular!! Definitely save some budget for toys and accessories too!!

OP
DeSoto

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
So let me ask you, what happens to the new parrot when you go off to college? Parrots and being a student ( at any level) is extremely hard to make it work, with the parrot usually getting short end of the stick as far as attention and time out of cage.
I’m going to a tech school for two years I’ll only go a few days a week while I apprentice and I’ll probably take my bird to work with me. After that I’ll go to a mortuary school for eighteen months while working and I’ll probably take my bird to work still then. I won’t be living in a dorm. And whether I’m busy or not, bonding time with my bird is a must. I plan on eating breakfast and dinner with my bird and letting him/her perch on my shoulder every second while I’m at home. Also when things start picking up I’m going to purchase another bird so he/she doesn’t get lonely. Im still trying to find more ways to spend time with my bird.

Last edited:
OP
DeSoto

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
this is what ive got for the green cheek I am getting

It doesnt have the playtop which is a con but its got lots of space both vertically and horizontally and you can always still attach toys and perches to the top and sides to make up for the lack of a playtop
Welcome to the forum!
You will find lots of help here, please feel free to ask anything:)
I would suggest getting a larger cage for a conure. My Green Cheek is my smallest conure and he is in this cage:
https://www.amazon.ca/Construction-...d=1&keywords=bird+cage&qid=1629062903&sr=8-29

My Sun & Jenday are in cages like this:

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOHOME-Wro...ld=1&keywords=bird+cage&qid=1629062802&sr=8-8

What species of conure are you thinking of getting?
I think I found one that’s basically the same as those two? A little bit cheaper though

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I think I found one that’s basically the same as those two? A little bit cheaper though
Absolutely, that looks just like the ones my Sun & Jenday are in. It's wider and a bit deeper than the original one you found and it will give them more room to move around. I do want to mention that you will need to zip tie the breeder doors. There are 2 on each side, and they are very easy for a bird to open (All they have to do is push on them). I don't use the plastic dishes that come with them either, I bought 3 small stainless steel bowls and attached them inside with the included hardware.

OP
DeSoto

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
Absolutely, that looks just like the ones my Sun & Jenday are in. It's wider and a bit deeper than the original one you found and it will give them more room to move around. I do want to mention that you will need to zip tie the breeder doors. There are 2 on each side, and they are very easy for a bird to open (All they have to do is push on them). I don't use the plastic dishes that come with them either, I bought 3 small stainless steel bowls and attached them inside with the included hardware.
Sweet! I think I’ll get this one. I’ll probably do some things like change the shelf to wood and try to make a perch to go on top. And yeah I’m gonna get four stainless steal containers so I can rotate them off :D

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
you could get a perch like the link below to put on top

or you could look into making a small PVC playstand to set on top like the link below

PVC stands are rather inexpensive to buy compare to other similar perches. But they're even cheaper to make yourself. Just tedious since they're not the easiest things to cut. My dad and I used a hacksaw for Lincoln's. they sell pvc cutter tools but we didnt have any luck with that maybe we just got a bad one or were using it wrong idk

OP
DeSoto

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
you could get a perch like the link below to put on top

or you could look into making a small PVC playstand to set on top like the link below

PVC stands are rather inexpensive to buy compare to other similar perches. But they're even cheaper to make yourself. Just tedious since they're not the easiest things to cut. My dad and I used a hacksaw for Lincoln's. they sell pvc cutter tools but we didnt have any luck with that maybe we just got a bad one or were using it wrong idk
I’ll definitely look into it! I’ve got a PVC cutter that I often used on my aquarium plumbing. I’m really big into aesthetics so if I attempt it I’ll probably use a lot of branches mixed in with the PVC. I’ve been researching and some people have used muscadine branches with no problem so I think I’ll use them. They’re very curvy and twisted plus they look like they have a really dark stain which I like. Plus there’s tons of them growing here in West Georgia :)

OP
DeSoto

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
BF4429EF-78AF-4543-9A18-359A9F4731BB.jpeg

Muscadine Vines^^^ that’s the only native species of grape in North America :D and I think they’d look awesome in a parrot cage.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
View attachment 29572
Muscadine Vines^^^ that’s the only native species of grape in North America :D and I think they’d look awesome in a parrot cage.
Muscadine will look spectacular in your cage! Does not appear on list of dangerous woods!!

OP
DeSoto

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
Muscadine will look spectacular in your cage! Does not appear on list of dangerous woods!!
Yeah I didn’t see it on any dangerous woods, but I did see grape on the safe woods. I figured well it’s a grape so it should be okay and after research I found a thread where someone used some so I think I’ll give it a hand.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

Most Reactions

Latest posts