Alone or Paired?

Tigerpoppy

Dec 3, 2020
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
Skittles, jade rainbow lorikeet
Hi, I am a second time lorikeet owner to Skittles, a hand raised 9 month old baby.
I have been wondering, as I know lorikeets are social birds, whether getting him/her a friend. What is everyone's experience with a single bird versus having two?

I just want to make sure he/she isn't lonely.

Thanks!! :rainbow1::rainbow1::rainbow1:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello and welcome!

Plenty of people have only one lorikeet. So long as you provide the required companionship (like any other parrot species) your bird will be fine.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Tigerpoppy! I nearly fell off my chair when I read your post! I, too, live in Newcastle! I'm in Wallsend: where are you?

I've got a male/female pair of Alexandrines (the Beaks, Barney and Madge), a Little Corella called Miss Rosetta Stone and four Masked Lovebirds (the Lovies: Dusk, Twilight, Shadow and Angel).

The Beaks and the Lovies are pretty content living together and sharing food, perches, swings and toys. Rosetta is in desperate need of a companion. She has no one to roost with, no one to play with when I'm not there and, worst of all, no one to preen her and squash her itchy pin-feathers. She's also highly hormonal and would benefit from the chance to mate with a suitable gentleman-corella.

It's my opinion (and many disagree with it) that most species do best with an opposite-gender companion. Lorikeets, especially being communal roosters benefit from having 'someone else' to snuggle with and chatter to while falling asleep. You've only got to drive down Bluegum Road, Jesmond, at around seven o'clock of an evening to see the Lorikeets settling in for the night and doing the equivalent of 'Goodnight Maryellen, goodnight grandpa, goodnight John-Boy'. I think they really need that comfort and company.

People will tell you a bird 'won't bond with you' if it has an opposite-gender companion. All I can say is that each of my Alexes loves me to bits as well as loving one another and being strongly bonded to each other. Also, they get to mate regularly (no eggs, as I don't provide nesting materials) and are therefore not frustrated as poor Rosetta is at this time of year.

Unless, like me, you're retired and have unlimited time with your bird, the fact is that he spends long hours alone while you're at work or out of the house. Those long hours are much more happily spent with a friend, IMHO.

In the end, you need to do what suits you. If a second bird is going to cause you difficulty, extra work or more worry, then don't get one. If you think it'll improve things for you and your current bird, then go right ahead and find a new friend. (NB. You'll notice a whole lot of us have more than one bird). :)

Most Reactions