Already bored with your parrot after one week?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
The best way is to find a good home for the parrot and never get another one.
Parrots, and all living beings, deserve to be in a home where someone doesn't get bored within a week of having them.
Some people just aren't ready for all the responsibilities of having a pet, and there is nothing wrong with that as long as they don't get a pet.
I know yours was given to you as a present, but the parrot deserves to be in a home where he is wanted. Please find him a good home.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Seeing your previous threads, I'm going to be 100% honest: I do NOT think you should get a other bird. I highly recommend you rehome your current bird and find him a good home(NOT return it to he petshop, these chain pet stores are terrible.) You can check out a rescue in your area or even ask here if someone is willing to take your bird. Try checking online for people who are looking for a bird, BUT:

Make sure they are up for the challenge and won't give up as quickly as you did.

I wish you the best of luck, OP.

Squeeing_Onion

Oct 10, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
"Bongo" - Green Cheek Conure
β€œEcho” - Indian Ringneck
"Chicken" - Sun Conure, rest in peace, my precious friend.
The first thing I would do is ask yourself why you are bored.

If you are bored of your bird, the bird is not the problem. A bird will always be a bird, on the bad days and the good days. Your mindset and your perspective is the root source; Boredom is a state of personal being, not something inflicted upon us.

Bored usually indicates either you aren’t engaging for some reason or another, or you are being deprived of an engaging activity. This could be that you thought your bird would provide entertainment and keep you occupied with pleasing interactions with an emotional reward, or perhaps you yourself are in a funk and nothing is going to satisfy you until you figure out why you are personally in said funk.

To really help you, you’d need to tell us more about what your expectations where, what you are faced with now, and what is it you want to change. Do you want to increase your interest in your feathered friend? Are you stumped and blocked in training and needing more information so you can learn and improve your birdie skills?

The obvious takeaway many people will look at you with is to wonder whether or not you knew what you were getting into and researched before taking home a feathered companion. Whther that is your situation or not I have no idea, but you’re here now, you have a living animal under your care and responsibility for the livelihood of, and I hope you’ll be able to find answers here to help that situation grow to the best possible outcome.

That may be discovering birds aren’t for you and needing to rehome your companion, as hundreds of others have.

All that said -- should you chose to rehome your bird?

Don't ever get another one.
They are living creatures.
They are individuals.
They are not a toy to amuse you.
You will NEVER find a parrot that satisfies you in the way you crave, if you are unwilling to take the time to build and earn that relationship, because parrots are intelligent. You cannot trick them into liking you, or trusting you. They see your behaviors, and ignore the words you speak. They judge you by what you do, and when you do it. They know if yo uare luring them with food, if you are lying to them, if you have something hidden to cover them with. If you are impatient and don't care about their boundaries, that teaches them not to respect yours and you end up with a bird who now only recognizes "if I want my human not to touch me, I must bite them to keep them away."

I adopt those birds, the ones who become screaming distrustful biters, because very few people can handle them and it takes months to years and years to rebuild their confidence and trust and encourage them to be friendly with people once again.

Rehoming is incredibly stressful on them and has a high likelihood of that bird now being bounced around from home to home to home and miserable for it, because few people can handle a bird with emotional and mental trauma and the training and time and care it takes to coax them out of it, if they ever recover.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I got "bored" of my birds too, when I first got Stormy and Sky (RIP), but it was because my parents wouldn't let me open the cage door so they could come out, so I don't really think that counts? I love my babies and would never even DREAM of giving them up, unless it was the right thing to do for THEM., which it seems to be in your case

Anyhow, I suggest responsibly rehoming your bird and never getting another one, or at least waiting a couple years until you can decide if parronting is right for you.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
When your bird is new and doesn’t know or trust you, it will be wild and not very much fun. If you’re going to keep this bird, you need to make friends with it and get to know it. A parrot isn’t an instant fun pet like a puppy or kitten. They’re wild animals and you have to tame them first!

Two years ago, I had a tame bird named Lucy who said 100 different things and slept on my pillow in the morning. She was hysterically funny and learned to swear at the alarm clock when it went off. Then she learned to say β€œoh shit!” when I vacuumed because she hated the vacuum. We played games and went to the park. She got very old and died 2 years ago and eventually I found another bird, Willow, who needed a home. But I was very sad and it wasn’t the same as having my Lucy back.

Willow was wild and flew around his first owner’s house. He didn’t have many toys and is still scared of new toys. I got to know him by feeding him treats through his cage bars. Then he started to come out and let me pet him.

we spend time each day together. If Willow doesn’t want to come out, I give him treats and tell him he’s a good bird. He kisses at me from inside his cage even if he won’t come out.

If I’m not feeling good, Willow sits on his basket on my lap and I read or do stuff online and pet him. I listen to music or draw with him. I share healthy parts of my dinner. Willow likes to have his head scratched while I read or draw. Though Willow was wild two years ago, now he will peck me gently if I forget to pet him. He wants to snuggle with my hand, even if I’m doing something else and not looking at him.

Willow doesn’t talk or do the crazy things my Lucy bird did. But he’s slowly learning to say things, he’s beautiful, and he loves me. I didn’t get an INSTANT REPLACEMENT FOR LUCY but I slowly got a friendly bird who likes to be pet and is starting to talk and give kisses.

A parrot isn’t an instant fun pet. You have to tame him and teach him that you’re a nice person. That’s what is fun about a parrot! Because you can bring him from a bird who doesn’t know you and is scared of you to a bird who is happy when you come home, makes kissy noises, waves or says β€œhello” to you. There are lots of YouTube videos about how to tame or make friends with your bird.

if you keep this bird, it is your responsibility to spend some time with him every day, clean his cage, feed him decently, and give him toys to play with.

If you spend some time most days making friends with your bird, he will start to trust you and step up, let you pet him, etc. BUT YOU HAVE TO SPEND TIME EVERY DAY showing him you like him and you’re kind. Otherwise he has no reason to like you. You need to make friends with your bird or you will think he’s boring and he will think you are scary.

What is your bird’s name? What kind is he? What do you like to do, and how can you share that with your new bird? play music for your new bird or watch TV together. Share part of your sandwich with him. Give him some popcorn or apple. do something to make friends with him so he will start to like you. OR ask your parents to bring him back and get a computer game or something that won’t be lonely.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I highly recommend a red parrot! Red parrots never get boring! Wait! I said red? I mean yellow!! Sunshine in every day! Now I’m confused! I was thinking blue! Update to follow!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hmmm, never really am comfortable with this type of Thread as stated in an earlier Post, that the bird was gifted, but here, states: "What is the best way to deal with being bored with your parrot after the first week of buying him/her?"

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I highly recommend a red parrot! Red parrots never get boring! Wait! I said red? I mean yellow!! Sunshine in every day! Now I’m confused! I was thinking blue! Update to follow!
OP, just so you know, this is a joke. The color of the parrot does not affect how entertaining it is.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'm done with this poster. Other than to say anyone near him should buy the bird off them.

Most Reactions