Am I reading this leg band right?

ginaekkie

Mar 10, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus male and female
hey all!

I'm looking at the leg band on my Eclectus (I'm in the Netherlands) below and I want to be sure I'm reading this right. The first image is an example of how it's written. The actual band also has the 5 in that location... the last number that goes up/down vertically (which I know is the year with this specific band) - would that be 06 or 90? it's 06, right? Kinda important as it would make my just adopted ekkie who was supposed to be under 4 years old --- she's actually either 16 or 32 years old :O Which is it?

number.jpg
legband.jpeg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Leg band marking only has meaning to the one who put it on. THere is NO established format, coding or other unified system of numbering or other lettering on parrot leg bands. THey have meaning (maybe) only to the breeder or the one who put the leg band on.

OP
G

ginaekkie

Mar 10, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus male and female
Thanks! This one is indeed a standard one from a bird society and regulated here in the netherlands. We have some standardized formats. I am just not clear on reading the year vertically as it could be 06 or 90.

We have a vet checkup planned for her on Friday and she will also look up her band code but I took a headstart to look it up today and realized regardless she’s definitely not 3 years old

OP
G

ginaekkie

Mar 10, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus male and female
Update after a vet visit, she is indeed 16 years old. Condition from exam was good - only slightlyt overweight from teh seed diet she's probably been on for 16 years urgh. Not going well so far with chop conversion but the vet says go slow and it can take 10 months or more. I just want to give her the best life!

Most Reactions