May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
There is this really sweet pineapple GCC at my independently owned local pet store, where I got Picasso and Pepper. The conure (whom I've affectionately name Lola) has been there for almost a year. She started out in the front of the store, where she was always trying to get attention, but after about 6 months she disappeared for awhile, and I assumed she'd been purchased.

A couple weeks ago, I noticed she was in a small 1 foot by 1 foot cage with no toys. I asked if she was for sale and the worker said yes. I had no clue why she was moved there, and she seemed pretty anxious compared to the outgoing bird she used to be.

I can get a cage for her, she'd free roam all day, I can quarantine her in our guest bedroom, we have 2 really amazing parrot vets here in VT, and a 24/7 exotic emergency clinic as well, and my parents are willing to pay for the bills with my help.

In 20-30 years, I see myself possibly having my own place, but if not, living with my parents and helping pay for them. I hope to inherit the house when they move out or pass (my dad just turned 67, so he's probably semi-retiring when I can take on the house). I know my parents would always welcome me back into the house with open arms if I ever had financial trouble.

So, do you think I am ready? She may sell before I can get her, though...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Are your budgies fully recovered? How long if fully recovered, since they had symptoms? Have you cleaned everything, changed a/c and vaccume filters?

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Are your budgies fully recovered? How long if fully recovered, since they had symptoms? Have you cleaned everything, changed a/c and vaccume filters?
I would not get her until July/August, if she is still there by then, so I think my birds would be "cured". For now, I'll just try to bond with her in the shop... maybe give her some Nutriberries so she has some enrichment?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi. Please take this in the very best light. Some folks are able to provide not only financially for multiple birds but also the time that it takes to care for them re cleaning, feeding and most of all providing the time for one on one relationships with each parrot. I personally do not have that. I devote an hour or so every day to exclusive time with Salty, in scratching sessions or training and playing with him. He is out the cage for at least 6 hrs every day. I would not have time for that with a second parrot. Every time you add to your flock, some one of them is going to get the short end of the stick. At your age, having 4 birds already is a feat, and they seem well cared for. But right now your time is that of an adolescent, with minimal unavoidable chunks of your time being demanded. As you get older, that time will only increase, with school work, extracurricular activities, personal relationships and possible working part time. Your a smart one, I think you realize this already.

You can't 'rescue every parrot you will find that lives in less than ideal circumstances; we all feel that way, but in a practical sense, that's impossible. If this is a dedicated bird store, perhaps working with the owners to improve the life of this little one would be a practical idea ( but you would think a shop like that would already know this).

Perhaps not the response you were looking for, but it is an honest one. People who post stuff like this sometimes are only looking for validation and not a real response. I think you are smart enough to understand what I am saying.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My thoughts are mixed.

I think you’d be a great bird parent.

But you will be in high school soon, I think, and you may not then want quite as many animals as you have now. And you are trying to get the flock you already have cured of some long standing issues.
I think you need to get your parakeets soundly well before you should think about any other birds.

Also, it’s hard to divide your time between more than one bird who wants to be your β€œfavorite.”

I mean, I have two birds and I feel like I can’t pay enough attention to both sometimes. I rather wish I had just one bird to care for. And it’s not that I don’t love them both or they’re not good birds, just dividing and sharing the time between two jealous birds is hard. It sucks to feel like I’m short changing one or both of my pets.

You have many animals already and you have plenty of stuff going on in your next few years.

But, that’s just my opinion. Anyhow it is something to think about: having to divide up your time into even smaller pieces with a bird who will want a LOT of time.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Hi guys, I don't think I'll actually be adopting her. When I posted this, I was still VERY unsure, and you guys have confirmed that I probably shouldn't get another bird just yet. I don't think I'll ever want to rehome any of my pets or give them up, but I do want to limit myself, and I understand that I can't save them all. There's also a fairly high demand for conures, so I'm sure she'll get adopted eventually, but of course, only time will tell.

I don't think it would be an issue if I did decide to get her, as I don't really have a social life (I'm one of those people that people naturally avoid, without even having a reason), but I think you guys have brought up some great points. I already have to get a larger tank and filter for July, and possibly a separate one for Callie (A defromed and stunted RES that I'm probably adopting for my birthday, who will hopefully be my last pet for a LONG while, she just needs extra care that many wouldn't be able to provide for her), so I do have to think about that, and those expenses as well.

Well, thanks everyone, you've all given great input!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
β€œI don't think it would be an issue if I did decide to get her, as I don't really have a social life (I'm one of those people that people naturally avoid, without even having a reason)”.

I’m sorry things are like that for you. I lived in a small town and people thought I was β€œweird”, too, mostly because I was smart and not into sports or drinking.

Then I grew up and moved away and found that there are LOTS of people who would rather work with animals or watch movies or play music than party or gossip and talk about what’s new and stylish.

It gets better when you are a young adult and can choose where you live and drive or bus. Life gets a lot BIGGER. And you will be one of the interesting people then. Just hang in there.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
β€œI don't think it would be an issue if I did decide to get her, as I don't really have a social life (I'm one of those people that people naturally avoid, without even having a reason)”.

I’m sorry things are like that for you. I lived in a small town and people thought I was β€œweird”, too, mostly because I was smart and not into sports or drinking.

Then I grew up and moved away and found that there are LOTS of people who would rather work with animals or watch movies or play music than party or gossip and talk about what’s new and stylish.

It gets better when you are a young adult and can choose where you live and drive or bus. Life gets a lot BIGGER. And you will be one of the interesting people then. Just hang in there.
Yup, I don't hate it, I'm an introvert and like spending time by myself. I was merely pointing it out, as Icca said:
Just remember they are all alot of work and young people NEED to have freedom that's how you get all the crazy stories you tell when you are finally old.
Which was kind of implying that I should get out, and do crazy stuff with my friends... I'm not really that type of person.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I'm am sorry if you thought that I was encouraging doing thing your not interested in. I honestly did not mean it in a pushy way I'm just say life always changes. Have fun with it. And fun is whatever you like to do.
It's ok!

Most Reactions