Am I travelling to much?

charlj941

Dec 24, 2020
Hello,

I am looking to adopt a 7 month old African Grey, sheā€™s named Crystal and is always happy to see me when I volunteer at her breeders. Sheā€™s 4 months old now so, should I decide to proceed with adoption, I will be picking her up in February of 2021.

Iā€™ve been doing research on parrots for the past 7 years and I am finally in an environment where I will be able to host a avian companion. Iā€™ve been trying to find articles about travelling and have contacted many breeders, vets, other bird keepers and many other people who have experience with birds. Iā€™m quite well read on African Greys but I am not yet ready to make a decision on how well African Greys tend to adopt to new environments.

To give you and idea of what I am most concerned about, I can describe my current living situation. I am a student at an university about an hours drive from home. During the week (Monday mornings to Friday afternoons) I am at the flat at the university with my brother and during weekends we head home to spend time with our parents. In 2022 I start working for a firm that is also about an hours drive from my parents house. I will need to travel for work but will always be away for less than 10 hours and when I wonā€™t be able to be back the same day I always travel to places that are pet friendly.

I absolutely love birds and my parents too are bird lovers. They also keep two cockatiels named Tobie and Wouter. We (the entire family) spend the December holidays at a caravan park. We take the two cockatiels with when we go camping and they do really well in the new environment and with the 6 hour drive.

My question to the community is will my avian companion cope with all the travelling or should I rather wait a few more years to get to a point where traveling can be kept to a minimum?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Parrots are best for people who have passed through the period of uncertainly that comes with finding that permanent ( or semi permanent) job and living quarters. A great majority of parrots do not do well with change, and African Greys in particular. It is very much an individual parrot thing, coupled with a great deal of training, socialization and desensitizing. On this board, we are all about the parrot's well being, will always recommend to wait until your life has stabilized before getting a parrot. Can it be done - yes, but the odds are not in your favor.

If, eventually, you will be out of the house 10hrs a day, consider this. Parrots need 10-12 hrs a day of quiet uninterrupted sleep. Let us assume your job is 9-5 (8 hrs) + an hour each way travel time (now we are up to 10 hrs a day). Parrots require 4-6 hrs a day of out of cage time, to play, exercise, SO lets say you get him up at 7 AM, to feed and water him, before you go to work. THat parrot should be going to bed around 7PM to maintain his amount of sleep. You get home around 6PM from the job. That gives you an hour, maybe 2 to have him out of his cage. A grey is not going to thrive on that. You see where this is going....

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very well stated by my good friend above...
Parrots are highly social and a major part of their well-being is the time they spend with their flock. Sadly, at present, you seem unable to provide that life style.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You have waited this long, and I truly think you and your bird will be happier until you wait to finish university and establish your career first. I applaud you for thinking so carefully and researching-- that is huge.

There is a lot up in the air before you have a set career. I am not saying it is impossible, but considering the fact that they need 12 hours of sleep nightly, that means that you will have to be at the house to wake it up each morning and put it to bed each night. That alone can be very difficult when you consider the fact that you also need about 3 hours at least to have the bird out and playing etc. Plus, apartment living with a parrot can be very tricky as well, so that's something else to consider if you think you may ever be in a situation where you have to live in one.

On top of that, birds can't travel with humans to some places (especially places with dangerous fumes, including many people's home) even if they are allowed in. tEFLON/ptfe/pfoa/pfcs used within a house can kill birds on separate floors, which means taking a bird to someone's home can be really tricky (and trust me when I say, it is super awkward to tell someone what pots/pans/appliances/space heaters etc they can safely use in their own home just because you are coming over). Candles, air fresheners, standard cleaners etc can also be very harmful.

*Pet friendly is often not bird-friendly for the reasons above*

Also, when owners go away, it is hard on birds. If you leave your bird with someone, they may or may not be able to touch it without being bitten etc...so that can be an issue when it comes to allowing your bird out while you are away (how would they get the bird back in if the bird doesn't let them touch it). Most boarding places also do not let birds out due to safety issues as well, and if you board (even at a vet) there is risk of exposure to disease because birds can spread very dangerous illness without ever showing signs of illness (asymptomatic transmission).

I am not saying you can't travel with a bird ever, but it's best if done by car and only if you know the place you are going is genuinely safe for birds in terms of appliances/products/cleaners etc. Some parrots travel better than others but it can be a source of stress depending on the bird. The travel cage is another thing to consider, as many travel cages are quite small.. I ended up having to buy a separate, full-size cage to leave at my parents' house because her travel cage isn't big enough for her to stay in at the destination. A grey is smaller than my bird, but that is something else to think about.

Logistically,at this point in time, I don't see how you would manage getting the bird 12 hours of sleep, while interacting with it for an appropriate amount of time each day-- it just doesn't seem possible at this point in time (due to the number of hours you would have to be away).

Finally, finances can be unpredictable before graduation and until you have a stable job, it's hard to know what your hours will be, or how much money you will have (especially if you have any loans that will be due for repayment in the future). The initial cost of parrot and cage SEEM super expensive, but it's the tip of the iceberg in the long run. I would suggest that you also find out where the nearest avian certified vet is and consider than an annual appointment is needed for parrots (although often times, more than one is required due to illness, injury etc).

Last edited:

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
If by firm you mean you will be working at a law firm, I would wait. My cousin worked for a law firm for a short time(a couple years), and she literally had zero free time. Not even enough to really care for herself. There is much more to it than just the job itself, it takes up all of your time with networking and such. She ended up going down a different career path because she wanted to be able to have a personal life.

I agree 100% with all said by the above posters. My very bonded pet cockatiel, Alex, turns into a completely different little dude when I go out of town, even if he is watched by people he knows and cares about. He gets mopey, he gets grumpy, he doesn't want to come out of the cage or whistle, he just mopes around. Eats and drinks enough to sustain himself, but not as much as usual. Calling and letting him hear my voice perks him up, but it is temporary. When I get back he screams if I am out of his sight, but he is clearly MAD at me and will be a brat to me. Bites, grumps, doesn't want to come out.. but BOY I better not leave his sight or he will scream bloody murder. And Alex is "just" a cockatiel(not that a cockatiel is less of a companion or anything like that, but they are more forgiving than greys on average). A grey would fare even worse.

One day I have every faith you will make a fabulous home for a bird. Your being here and asking shows this. But I think the timing isn't quite right yet.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
birds love to poop on nice clothes......I'd wait a bit.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Only funny because it's true!

Most Reactions

Latest posts