Amazing wild bird visitors!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I had the most amazing unbelievable rare birds visit today, so I had to share!

I've worked very hard to curate my yard with native plants, shrubs, trees, and flowers. I have nest boxs, Mason bee houses, a small brush pile , and a small section of native grass and such left undisturbed. I dont use pesticides. I have a bird bath under a shrub, and 2 water fountains. And for the toads and frogs I buried a small tub , I have mosquito minnows in it , and they eat mosquito larvae .

Its the bird bath and fountain that draw in the rare birds. As they are insect esters not seed eaters. The following beauties all took baths or used the fountains this afternoon !!!

Summer Tanager
Indigo Bunting
American Red Start
Northern parula
Eastern Blue Burd

Unbelievable to see them all this afternoon!!!!!
Never before in my life! The colors!!!!

I had looked for Summer Tanager for 14 years! Last year or the year before was the first time a pair visited !

I has many other more common bird visitors as well.

My nest box are hosting chickadee, wren, blue birds, and crested fly catchers right now. Im so happy!

If you do nothing other than add a shallow bird bath close to cover, you to might see some beautiful birds.

Since its almost Earth Day. Here are some links to inspire you
https://www.nwf.org/garden-for-wildlife/create

https://www.audubon.org/native-plants/search

https://nestwatch.org/learn/all-about-birdhouses/

http://millionpollinatorgardens.org/resources/

You can take pictures of moths and butterfly and share with the site below
https://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/

https://frogwatch.next.fieldscope.org/

https://www.conservationnw.org/our-work/wildlife/wildlife-monitoring/

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/idea/citizen-science-projects/

Several easy citizen-science-projects !
https://www.thinkinganimalsunited.org/citizen-science-projects-for-wildlife-lovers/

I have inspired myself! I'm going to pick one or more to do! I hope you will to

My yard sign to inspire neighbors.
laurasea-albums-penny-picture20900-img-20181216-132156348-2.jpg

laurasea-albums-penny-picture20899-img-20181216-132205791-2.jpg

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We are seeing an increase number of wild birds in a wide cross-section of size this year. At the cabin, a like large number to a point that we have areas with multiple nests in a fairly small area.

This year is near 'normal' whatever that is, in that temperature is trending closer to 100 year averages. Last year, I was snowmobiling the first week of May. Amazing what one year will do.

FYI, the Great Lakes are about 10" lower than last year. So, this Summer, I expecting increased wetlands growth of grasses, etc.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sightings must have been surreal!! Thanks for the links, will look them over. Feeling inspired!!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Sightings must have been surreal!! Thanks for the links, will look them over. Feeling inspired!!

Thank you. I had no idea there were so many citizens science projects going on! Something fo

r everyone. From going on a bike ride, or a walk, city dwellers spotting wildlife, or lights effecting star gazing, listening for frogs, spotting native plants, taking a bird count, taking photos of butterflies. Families can do one of these with their kids fir Earth Day. Or make a pollination garden , or patio container garden and register it with the million pollination garden program..

The National Geographic link and the last citizens science have so many opportunities.

" Observe Wildlife Anywhere
Photograph plants, animals, and other organisms on your own or as part of a BioBlitz. Use the iNaturalist app or iNaturalist.org to upload your observations and add them to a global database of biodiversity to support local to global research projects. "

" Search Space
Want a chance to have an interstellar dust particle named after you? Help NASA by volunteering for Stardust@home and searching images for tiny interstellar dust impacts."

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
We are seeing an increase number of wild birds in a wide cross-section of size this year. At the cabin, a like large number to a point that we have areas with multiple nests in a fairly small area.

This year is near 'normal' whatever that is, in that temperature is trending closer to 100 year averages. Last year, I was snowmobiling the first week of May. Amazing what one year will do.

FYI, the Great Lakes are about 10" lower than last year. So, this Summer, I expecting increased wetlands growth of grasses, etc.

It must be a wonderful retreat, abd property.
Maybe you would like this project?,
" Bird Watch
Join eBird, an online checklist project created by the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology and the National Audubon Society. Ebird allows people to report real-time bird sightings and observations."

Or this one
" World Monitoring Day
Celebrate World Water Monitoring Day. Use a test kit to sample local bodies of water for water quality data and share the results with other communities around the world."

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Wild birds is what got me to parrots..as a young lad I fed 'em and housed 'em and watered 'em..it took a couple years before the "exotics" came around..cardinals (which were scarce here back then) Towhee's,orioles..a scarlet tanager or two..wrens...even saw a piliated woodpecker once! winter time it was red poles and purple finches nut hatches red headed and downy wood peckers..you get the idea.
I've been thinking about feeding and watering here but too many preditors we have :eek: foxes,coyotes,marten's have all been seen in the back yard,even a hawk landed on the garage roof one afternoon while Amy and I sat on the deck.
Sounds like heaven where you are!!!

Jim

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Very cool! The only "cool" ones I every get are various woodpeckers and mocking birds.

I have a THRIVING grackle and blackbird populous, and I know grackles raid nests etc, so I am experimenting to see if I keep feeding them meal worms etc if they will be less inclined to be rude. So far, they seem less aggressive...we shall see...Jealous of your birds and yard. I love that you have that sign too--- not only does it explain what some people might want to mow down, but it also is a good reminder!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I hsve plenty of hawk, abd even kites . But water source is good, if you put under a tre ir bush or next to or next to your house for protection. No hawks have ever come to my water.

I do have a feeder, under tree canopy abd next to a shrub. But right now almost all birds are feeding their babies bugs. So native plants are very important to feed native bugs.

I love the big wood peckers! I has one in my tree a few days ago. I heard the drumming.

Thankfully no grackle or cow burds. My cousin fights those.

All my viburnium are flowering, my red buckeye, and my fringe tree. The native dogwoods have finished as have my native plum trees. My young silverbells tree inky had a few flowers. The crabapple hasn't started yet. Next will be beauty berry, and elderberry to flower.

If you want a lot of butterflies plant Joe pye weed, its called weed but it flowers tons and native nursery sell. Also sunflowers draw the bees and butterflies, Salvia draws humming birds abd bees

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I hsve plenty of hawk, abd even kites . But water source is good, if you put under a tre ir bush or next to or next to your house for protection. No hawks have ever come to my water.

I do have a feeder, under tree canopy abd next to a shrub. But right now almost all birds are feeding their babies bugs. So native plants are very important to feed native bugs.

I love the big wood peckers! I has one in my tree a few days ago. I heard the drumming.

Thankfully no grackle or cow burds. My cousin fights those.

All my viburnium are flowering, my red buckeye, and my fringe tree. The native dogwoods have finished as have my native plum trees. My young silverbells tree inky had a few flowers. The crabapple hasn't started yet. Next will be beauty berry, and elderberry to flower.

If you want a lot of butterflies plant Joe pye weed, its called weed but it flowers tons and native nursery sell. Also sunflowers draw the bees and butterflies, Salvia draws humming birds abd bees

Not gonna lie...I know they are awful, but I (secretly) LOVE cow-birds...I think they are too ridiculous to hate.

In the winter, the starlings would drink the water I put out, but I get stressed about disease. When I was a kid, I found a dove that couldn't fly and was opne-mouthed-breathing. I convinced my mom to drive me an hour to a rescue and they said it had a disease that is often spread in birdbaths.

I don't use feeders (excluding suet) but I do spread seeds on the walk, in planters and on stacked cinder blocks in the garden. I HOPE this reduces the spread of avian disease and fights over getting a spot at the feeder.

I will say that it probably attracts other animals too, but so far, the only non-birds I have seen have been squirrels, rabbits and 1 possum.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
This should be a link to Joe pye weed
https://g.co/kgs/T1qLLM

I scrub my bird bath every week or 3 days. A little bleach, easy.

Cool- I would love to have a weedy garden of treats for birds etc--- better yet, one that doesn't get me into trouble with neighbors. I have left a few weeds to grow because I know rabbits and birds like them, but I have to keep my yard in check..at the same time, I don't do much planning for native species. I also keep my lawn cut and I feel bad about it at times because I know that letting weeds grow can really help bird and other animals. You are doing an awesome job!!!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I love my wild bird visitors and try to make our property as hospitable as possible for them. I do feed a really large hummingbird population in the summer and a smaller group in the winter. I plant all kinds of things that they seem to enjoy. We have a large deep pond (about an acre) that seems to attract all kinds of water birds - some stay all year and then we get a neat variety that stop in for a short time while migrating to somewhere else. I love trying to identify some of the weird ones that I’ve never seen before. I attached a few recent pics from my yard since this felt like a thread that might appreciate how much fun they are to watch in the yard.

The flicker has been drumming on our chimney for over a month, he’s interrupted countless Zoom meetings that I’ve been on with his “jackhammering”. I zipped out and took a picture of him one day....he DOES NOT look at all ashamed of his rudeness :rolleyes:

26111d1619143365-amazing-wild-bird-visitors-592487eb-5089-418b-a1c1-77e3151f19aa.jpg

26112d1619143413-amazing-wild-bird-visitors-0d550fc7-3d9f-4613-a42e-9a0fa3c10528.jpg

26113d1619143488-amazing-wild-bird-visitors-a25ac44e-a682-4f66-aa1c-12593d13a164.jpg

26114d1619143603-amazing-wild-bird-visitors-15bdebd2-6c37-494c-8387-55d07aa264f0.jpg

26115d1619144193-amazing-wild-bird-visitors-a4555ee5-f6fe-4c54-83b7-e0f7b2a5d600.jpg

Attachments

• 592487EB-5089-418B-A1C1-77E3151F19AA.jpg
    592487EB-5089-418B-A1C1-77E3151F19AA.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 0D550FC7-3D9F-4613-A42E-9A0FA3C10528.jpg
    0D550FC7-3D9F-4613-A42E-9A0FA3C10528.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 122
  • A25AC44E-A682-4F66-AA1C-12593D13A164.jpg
    A25AC44E-A682-4F66-AA1C-12593D13A164.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 15BDEBD2-6C37-494C-8387-55D07AA264F0.jpg
    15BDEBD2-6C37-494C-8387-55D07AA264F0.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 128
  • A4555EE5-F6FE-4C54-83B7-E0F7B2A5D600.jpg
    A4555EE5-F6FE-4C54-83B7-E0F7B2A5D600.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited by a moderator:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have a nursery / lawn and Garden center near us that sells a wild flower seed mix this time of the year that is excellent in its cross-section of Wild Bird and animal support for our region. It will be gone very soon. The ground needs to be prepared for seeding! It works wonders and much better than allow weeds to grow as some variety are neither good for the birds (thorny) or happy Neighbors.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I love my wild bird visitors and try to make our property as hospitable as possible for them. I do feed a really large hummingbird population in the summer and a smaller group in the winter. I plant all kinds of things that they seem to enjoy. We have a large deep pond (about an acre) that seems to attract all kinds of water birds - some stay all year and then we get a neat variety that stop in for a short time while migrating to somewhere else. I love trying to identify some of the weird ones that I’ve never seen before. I attached a few recent pics from my yard since this felt like a thread that might appreciate how much fun they are to watch in the yard.

The flicker has been drumming on our chimney for over a month, he’s interrupted countless Zoom meetings that I’ve been on with his “jackhammering”. I zipped out and took a picture of him one day....he DOES NOT look at all ashamed of his rudeness :rolleyes:

26111d1619143365-amazing-wild-bird-visitors-592487eb-5089-418b-a1c1-77e3151f19aa.jpg

26112d1619143413-amazing-wild-bird-visitors-0d550fc7-3d9f-4613-a42e-9a0fa3c10528.jpg

26113d1619143488-amazing-wild-bird-visitors-a25ac44e-a682-4f66-aa1c-12593d13a164.jpg

26114d1619143603-amazing-wild-bird-visitors-15bdebd2-6c37-494c-8387-55d07aa264f0.jpg

26115d1619144193-amazing-wild-bird-visitors-a4555ee5-f6fe-4c54-83b7-e0f7b2a5d600.jpg

Gorgeous photos! You know I've been trying to attract a flicker for years...its beenb10 years since I've seen one in my area...

Its wonderful that birds have added your property as a wayside on migration!!!! They will pass that down through the generations! You do have an amazing place and I'm glad you are the guardian !!!

This is a great place to share backyard conservation, I fo appreciate it!

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo

Gorgeous photos! You know I've been trying to attract a flicker for years...its beenb10 years since I've seen one in my area...

Its wonderful that birds have added your property as a wayside on migration!!!! They will pass that down through the generations! You do have an amazing place and I'm glad you are the guardian !!!

This is a great place to share backyard conservation, I fo appreciate it!
We get them primarily in the spring, a lot of woodpecker species in general tho.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
A new first time bird!
I have a cuckoo nesting in my tree!!@ my first time seeing one!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
A new first time bird!

Okay that is just cool! I have bird-envy :)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
A new first time bird!

They CRACK ME UP--- from what I understand, they lay their egg in another bird's nest and then that bird will raise their massive chick. I wonder if they always do that or just occasionally. I watched a documentary on this a few years ago and was obsessed.

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
A new first time bird!

They CRACK ME UP--- from what I understand, they lay their egg in another bird's nest and then that bird will raise their massive chick. I wonder if they always do that or just occasionally. I watched a documentary on this a few years ago and was obsessed.

Its a yellow billed cuckoo, I think they raise their own young. Sge was sitting on a nest.....Guess I will go check real quick.

Ok , they can, but this doesn't happen very often with this species. Usually both make and female build nest and take care of chicks. Babies leave nest in 17 days? Supper fast.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Yellow-billed_Cuckoo/overview
Except from above
" Yellow-Billed Cuckoos don’t lay their eggs all at once: the period between one egg to the next can stretch to as long as five days. This “asynchronous” egg laying means the oldest chick can be close to leaving the nest when the youngest is just hatching. When food is in short supply the male may remove the youngest bird from the nest, though unlike their relative the Greater Roadrunner, they don’t feed them to the older siblings."

Who knew the were related to road runners! How neat!

I had heard the cuckoo call so often over the years but never seen one.

Talking about calls, I have a pair of cat birds, I love them. They really do sound like a kitten calling. Their is something very handsome and sleek about their grey and black plumage.
I see them in my bird bath almost every day.

Oo and the thrashers, so loud thrashing in the leaf litter under my shrubs. Their bright coppery feathers and speckled breast.

I have greater crested fly catchers in a large nest box. They always place a snakeskin in their nest cavity!

Ok yes I love birds! All burds!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts