Amazon behavior question

Jack_Amazon

Sep 7, 2019
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon
Hello,

I have recently adopted a 9 years old blue fronted Amazon, he wasn’t abused physically or anything but he was not let out of the cage for couple of years. I have been doing progress, he lets me scratch his head and sometimes feet as well but only when he is inside of the cage. However, sometimes when I approach or when I am around the cage, he does the behavior shown in the video and I cannot understand what it means and how am I supposed to react to it. Can anyome help me understand? I have also read the thread about amazon behavior on this forum but couldn’t associate it with anything.

Thank you for any help. :)

Video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rUAgZSn_hUZIJUjt52mQ3-qKiYm5tYSE

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I didn't see anything "odd" about his behavior..it looks to me that he is just showing interest in whoever was talking to him.

Jim

Gemster

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 4, 2019
Media
Parrots
Valentine-budgie (M),
Daphne-budgie (F)
Rip-Sky
Rip-Bell
I didn't see anything "odd" about his behavior..it looks to me that he is just showing interest in whoever was talking to him.

Jim

Exactly, there isn't anything 'odd' in his behaviour, like you said he is showing interest and excitement in his body language.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Jim

Exactly, there isn't anything 'odd' in his behaviour, like you said he is showing interest and excitement in his body language.

The very slight bobbing with nothing notable other then that is as stated above. 11 seconds of behavior is very limited.
Commonly with Amazon's, I look for at least three (3) 'signs' (behaviors) to better define what an Amazon is providing. Example: Lifted head and /or neck feathers, flashing Orange Eyes, lifted wings and just to add another, swaying body is a good group of 'signs' that your Amazon not happy and about to make that point very clear.

Place some food bowls on top of the cage and let your Amazon out of the cage. If he flies or climbs off the cage, he will return as that is where the food and water are located.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!

MykaMom

Aug 24, 2019
Illinois
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Chickens
Your kiddo seems happy to see you.

His head bobbing may also be subvocalizing as his whole body seems involved.

It's time to take the next step and open his cage door for brief periods of time. If he is reluctant to exit, put a treat just out of reach, encouraging him to venture past his safe confines.

:green: Enjoy, you're on the way to a lovely relationship!

Most Reactions

Latest posts