Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
Hello
I read the threads about the Amazons body language. I can see my BFA doing all of those. I am learning when to back off. He just turned 3 and hormones have started haha. So my question is....when he is calm and perching and I go to pet him on the head with no resisitance from him, no body language that says to back off and then he whips his head around and bites the crap out of me.....there were NO signs to back off. This really bothered me. I've had it happen a time or two before and it makes me not trust him. I don't get why there was no warning from him. Maybe I was bothering his relaxation time?? usually when he doesn't want me to pet him he will move his head away but he didn't this time. He bit me good, drew blood, chomped down hard!! ouch!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
That is most likely the hormones talking.
lightning fast mood changes are common.

Itā€™s not always obvious body language that indicates a chang in mood.
My female RLA had a habit of accepting scratches and turning on a dime to chomp me.
I learned she would sort of freeze and tense up like a coiled spring just before striking and was able to avoid most bites.

Maybe you should only try to scratch when the signs are clear yes like fluffing of the head and nape feathers. If the feathers remain flat treat that as a no.

OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
That is most likely the hormones talking.
lightning fast mood changes are common.

Itā€™s not always obvious body language that indicates a chang in mood.
My female RLA had a habit of accepting scratches and turning on a dime to chomp me.
I learned she would sort of freeze and tense up like a coiled spring just before striking and was able to avoid most bites.

Maybe you should only try to scratch when the signs are clear yes like fluffing of the head and nape feathers. If the feathers remain flat treat that as a no.
His head feathers were fluffed!! He put on a good poker face! Haha

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The combination of a three year old BFA and your location in Utah has me questioning whether your BFA is being spurred on to an early Hormonal Flow and as a result, he is not connecting his Body Language with a chemical flow. i.e. an early release brought on by a combination of lack of sleep, sugar rich diet, etc., etc..

It is very important that you understand that you are the proud owner of one of the Big Hot Three Amazons who can be vastly effected by a Hormonal Flow, especially when they are still young (commonly starts when they are about five) as they can spin rapidly from the effects of the chemical load as they have very limited understanding what is happening to them.

We have an Adult (24 y) DYHA that has serious personality change during his Hormonal Season and, he can be spun into an off-season Hormonal flow if one is not careful. As noted above, with Amazons and especially the Hot Three, developing a six-sense is required! Or, maybe better to call it a Trust, but Verify relationship. Our Julio is a true lover and a joy to be with, and around. But those chemicals require that I check prior to getting close and keep an eye on him when we are close and personal.

What Wes was stating is that their body language can be very slight, but still can be picked-up on. It only requires a bit more effort especially with a young Amazon. I find that I will reread that Thread as it is easy forget and as a result, a bite will happen!

Last edited:
OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
The combination of a three year old BFA and your location in Utah has me questioning whether your BFA is being spurred on to an early Hormonal Flow and as a result, he is not connecting his Body Language with a chemical flow. i.e. an early release brought on by a combination of lack of sleep, sugar rich diet, etc., etc..

It is very important that you understand that you are the proud owner of one of the Big Hot Three Amazons who can be vastly effected by a Hormonal Flow, especially when they are still young (commonly starts when they are about five) as they can spin rapidly from the effects of the chemical load as they have very limited understanding what is happening to them.

We have an Adult (24 y) DYHA that has serious personality change during his Hormonal Season and, he can be spun into an off-season Hormonal flow if one is not careful. As noted above, with Amazons and especially the Hot Three, developing a six-sense is required! Or, maybe better to call it a Trust, but Verify relationship. Our Julio is a true lover and a joy to be with, and around. But those chemicals require that I check prior to getting close and keep an eye on him when we are close and personal.

What Wes was stating is that their body language can be very slight, but still can be picked-up on. It only requires a bit more effort especially with a young Amazon. I find that I will reread that Thread as it is easy forget and as a result, a bite will happen!
Iā€™ve had issues with his diet ā€¦he wonā€™t eat pellets at all anymore . I give him veggies, some fruit, eggs , chicken, potatoes, he eats this stuff really food . I have a healthy seed of safflower too with other Ingredients. He gets 10.5 hours of undisturbed sleep. Iā€™ll keep learning !! I try not to take It personal! Haha ā€¦

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I tend to use Pellets as a supplement for our Amazon's diet as near all are 'fortified' and contain sum volume of sugar and salt. Watch, which Fruit and how much you provide as some contain greater amounts of sugar. For your Amazon, never provide him with freeze dried fruit as the process only enhances the amount sugar per gram. There are several high quality seed /grain /tree grown nut bits mixes, but you will need to remove the Sunflower seeds as it is common. I commonly do not comment on safflower seeds as they have not become overly popular in most mixes. With Amazon both Sunflower and Safflower need to be control as Fatty Liver is so common with them.

Last edited:

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
YNA (Mad) Max aka Mean Max Green ~2002
Sulfur Crested ā€˜too Babybird 2015
I don't have that problem with Mad Max, I know he's always going to try to bite me if he gets the chance. Sometimes even when I'm offering food.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
't have that problem with Mad Max, I know he's always going to try to bite me if he gets the chance. Sometimes even when I'm offering food.
Same thing with my Max. I know he is going to try and bite me so I don't give him the opportunity. He is overly bonded with my other half. If I gave him the chance Max would bite my nose off or at least tear it to shreds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts