Amazon Nachos!

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Gloria, BFA, adopted on Jan. 9, 2016 when she was 30 years old
. Her mom went to a nursing home.
Also have 2 cats (Rangerand Luna) and a 24 year old aquatic turtle, named Elvis.
Gloria (BFA) loves it when I share nachos or tortilla chips with her. Even though I buy whole grain chips with sprouted seeds in them they still have oil and salt so I decided to make my own from scratch. I bought a cast iron tortilla press on Amazon but you can use a rolling pin.

One recipe made 14 approximately 6 inch tortillas.

All you need for basic ones is corn masa and water. It must be corn masa--not corn meal. Corn masa is made from corn cooked in lime which makes it more tender.

The recipe on the bag of masa said to use 2 cups of masa and 1 1/8 c. water adding more if necessary. Mix until it forms a ball--2 or 3 minutes. Break into small (1.5 - 2 inches) balls and cover with damp towel to prevent drying. Roll or press and immediately put the tortilla on a heated skillet for about 30 sec. on each side. Keep fresh tortillas covered as you prepare the rest.

We used these in enchiladas for us and they were so much better than any store bought.

For Gloria--I took 3 of the small balls of dough and rolled them in a mix of hulled millet, amaranth and flax seeds then I pressed them and cooked them on the skillet. After, I brushed them with a tiny bit of coconut oil, cut them into wedges and baked them at 350 degrees until crisp. She had one for dinner spread with mashed black beans. She likes sweet potato nachos too!

Attachments

• nachos.jpg
    nachos.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 176

Most Reactions

Latest posts