Amazon plucking another Amazon

JayBro

Feb 11, 2013
Hi everyone,

We have a longtime Blue fronted Amazon pair, both are females and the older (23 years old) is plucking the younger (7 years old) whenever they preen each other and are close to each other. They have been together for almost 7 years.

They used to be at the living room, getting a lot of attention from us. But we wanted to keep one of our African Grey chicks as our own since we stopped breeding them. Our african grey chick took the living room spot and amazons moved to the ex breeder's big room. They have their huge cage but could this be the cause? I checked that usually it's caused by sexual frustration, isolation, lack of exercises etc. They definitely have enough exercises and activities though.

Could someone give some tips? I've read before that Dried chamomile flower could help. We are really desperate.

Thank you all for your help in advance!

Br,

Jay

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi! I would think the new separation from the big, active living space is the cause , if not the major influence , of any new activity on the part of your Amazons. Me personally, I would work hard to make the sharing of the living room by all the parrots a priority. Both species are flock animals, and you just cut the 'zons off from their flock! And i would do it soon, so the plucking behavior doesn't become a ingrained habit, and hard to break.

Most Reactions

Latest posts