Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
[ame="https://youtu.be/Yqq-Zq743N8"]3 Amazon parrots screaming - YouTube[/ame]

Someone was talking about how to get there Amazon not to scream. This is what it's like in my house in the afternoon.

Bingo has been something of a surprise lately.
First of all when my wife cam back from visiting her relatives Bingo was very excited to see her. I don't understand this because all evidence up till now has been anger and aggression towards my wife.

Bingo was dancing his happy dance and kept saying her name over and over. I knew he knows her name "Rosa" but I did not know that he related the word to the person. There is no doubt that he knows "Rosa" is.

Bingo has also been showing signs of being interested in the Twins. He watches them very closely and I think he views them with less hostility than he did in the beginning. :green2:

The Twins.

The most interesting thing going on is with Merlin.:green1:
He has been regurgitating for one of his toys. After he eats something yummy he goes to this toy that is a rubber with a bell inside. He vigorously shakes it up and down in the typical regurge fashion.
I don't think he has gone through puberty yet so I don't understand this behavior.
Bingo does the same thing but he likes privacy and goes into his box to "feed his baby" as we like to call it.

I am wondering what the duties of the male/female pair as it comes to raising chicks. With cockatiels both parents feed the chicks.
Is this different in Amazons? Do the male birds do the majority of feeding?

Aside from that the Twins are the same. Flying together and preening each other but not able to share a cage without bickering/arguing.
:green1::green1:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
To my understand, both parents care for the young taking turns on nesting and then feeding. In addition, it is not unusual for the old offspring to help in the raising of the new born. Reports from Central and South America state that its not uncommon to find families with the oldest young being 4 to 5 years of age prior to their leaving to start their own families.

Love the Amazons, as did our Julio!

Glad that your Amazon found a new love for your dear wife...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I totally understand why they were chattering. Drowning out the "Liberty liberty liberty.... liberty" insurance commercial from the T.V at beginning of video! :D

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Archie is under a year, and my wife got “concerned” that after having him for a month or so, he would make the annoying squawks.

However, he only does it...maybe 3 to 7 times...within a 10-minute period of the day, 11AM to noon or so

So I told my wife, “You ain’t seen nothing yet!”

I don’t do anything to discourage it. I simply give him a quizzical and confused look that he can obviously see I’m being quizzical and confused. Like, what the hell are you screaming about? I don’t understand. I just stand there, motionless almost, implying that I’m so confused and don’t understand what you’re trying to say or want me to do, and I can’t react to you in a way you may expect. It works now. As he gets older? Who the hell knows.

I live with an Amazon, not a canary.

Last edited:

Most Reactions