sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
My Finley is 3 and heā€™s been healthy..a good eater but kinda pickyā€¦he seldom eats pellets but eats his fresh veggies, fruits, sweet potatoes , and moreā€¦I took him to his first full vet check , blood work and allā€¦vet tech said we shouldnā€™t be able to feel his breast gone like we doā€¦he eats all the time!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I would recommend getting a gram scale and keep track of his weight.

pellets are just a supplement, the fresh food you describe should give him most of what he needs.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Did the vet recommend anything on how to put some weight on your amazon, or a recommended diet sense they found this concerning? Did the labs come back normal? How active is your amazon? The reason I ask is to see if we can help.

Birds are tough eaters at times. I can't make either of my parrots eat anything they don't want to. I try to present things in ways that are appealing. Some days are better then others.

OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
Did the vet recommend anything on how to put some weight on your amazon, or a recommended diet sense they found this concerning? Did the labs come back normal? How active is your amazon? The reason I ask is to see if we can help.

Birds are tough eaters at times. I can't make either of my parrots eat anything they don't want to. I try to present things in ways that are appealing. Some days are better then others.
I was given some information on what to feed him and I already do what the vet suggested. Iā€™m waiting on lab results. He doesnā€™t fly he walks around the house and is active with lots of playing. He wonā€™t eat pellets unless I just donā€™t give him veggies and sometimes he just flings his pellets haha . Heā€™s only 3. He eats through out the dayā€¦I give eggs, chicken, veggies , fruitā€¦he likes nutri berries too and I give lots of those since there are pellets in them

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thin Breast Muscles for a young Amazon, IMHO, is an issue as Flight Muscles are very important to assure a strong Heart and Airsacks. Consider Reading the two-Threads at the top of the Amazon Forum!! They are, IMHO, the bench marks for Living with Amazons! Within the "I Love Amazons" Thread is a segment that targets re-Flighting a Parrot.

As stated above, a Scale, properly used is a great tool to follow your Amazons weight! Asure you weight in the morning, after the first large poop of the day and before you provide the morning meal. Keep a journal of your Amazons Weight.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Excellent advice, as usual, from 'Boats. Cooked chicken, eggs are bith good source of proteins. U can try adding some walnut to his diet, if he can crack or open them they are a good foraging item too.

OP
sherylb

sherylb

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Utah
Parrots
Kiwi the Quaker
Jack the IRN
Finley the BF Amazon
Excellent advice, as usual, from 'Boats. Cooked chicken, eggs are bith good source of proteins. U can try adding some walnut to his diet, if he can crack or open them they are a good foraging item too.
He loves eggs and chicken. I give them a few times a week. Heā€™s a good eater . He gets apples, sweet potatoes, all kinds of veggies. Brocolli corn peas edamameā€¦.I give him pistachios but I can do walnuts too

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Birds do need some carbs and fats. So soaked and cooked legume, quinoa, lentils, as mentioned nuts. And 10% seeds. I have a nutrition study on Amazon and they did better with a few seeds added back to diet.

But I would think nutriberries with veggies would cover it.

Hopefully all tests come back good.

MykaMom

Aug 24, 2019
Illinois
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Chickens
Chicken bones are also good. We use the thigh bone for Salty. He easily cracks the bone open and greedily eats the bone marrow. Foraging and nutrients in one!
Wow, I never though of chicken bone for my 'Zon. I sounds like a really good idea!

MykaMom

Aug 24, 2019
Illinois
Parrots
Yellow Nape Amazon
Chickens
I was given some information on what to feed him and I already do what the vet suggested. Iā€™m waiting on lab results. He doesnā€™t fly he walks around the house and is active with lots of playing. He wonā€™t eat pellets unless I just donā€™t give him veggies and sometimes he just flings his pellets haha . Heā€™s only 3. He eats through out the dayā€¦I give eggs, chicken, veggies , fruitā€¦he likes nutri berries too and I give lots of those since there are pellets in them

Yes, good ideas. I suggest almonds in the shell: my zone(13yr old) has a hard time getting his jaw around a walnut. The almond is good chewing exercise, plus good protein, fat.

Ronnie27

Oct 13, 2022
MĆ©xico
Parrots
Esmeralda, Perla, Arcoiris, Kiwi
Interes
Birds do need some carbs and fats. So soaked and cooked legume, quinoa, lentils, as mentioned nuts. And 10% seeds. I have a nutrition study on Amazon and they did better with a few seeds added back to diet.

But I would think nutriberries with veggies would cover it.

Hopefully all tests come back good.
Interesting article, Laura. I agree, seeds are also important to complete our birds diet.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Remember, you DO want to be able to feel your birds breastbone; if you canā€™t feel it he is too fat. But you want him to have plenty of muscle on either side of it. Was the vet worried that he was too skinny?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We started with an amazon who was seriously overweight, then switched him to pellets and he actually got a little under! We had to experiment with pellet brands to figure out his fav (for us, itā€™s Harrisonā€™s Lifetime Pepper). Our other Amazon loves that one too - her previous owner couldnā€™t get her to eat Roudybush or TOPS but once we put her on Harrisonā€™s she went for them like crazy. You may need to try a different brand.

Kirby is all sorted now and at a healthy weight, with liver enzymes under control and his heart issues monitored with yearly x rays. This took us nearly three years. Itā€™s a process!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
We started with an amazon who was seriously overweight, then switched him to pellets and he actually got a little under! We had to experiment with pellet brands to figure out his fav (for us, itā€™s Harrisonā€™s Lifetime Pepper). Our other Amazon loves that one too - her previous owner couldnā€™t get her to eat Roudybush or TOPS but once we put her on Harrisonā€™s she went for them like crazy. You may need to try a different brand.

Kirby is all sorted now and at a healthy weight, with liver enzymes under control and his heart issues monitored with yearly x rays. This took us nearly three years. Itā€™s a process!
Racket, did you start Kirby on Harrisonā€™s high potency diet, pepper, and switch him to adult lifetime diet, pepper? Or did you just start him on adult lifetime? My Quaker is eating high potency and is not very treat motivated so I think I would like to switch him to adult lifetime. But heā€™s not so interested in adult lifetime. Thanks.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Consider providing the Adult lifetime in smaller bit to dust added to the high potency diet by crushing some of the Adult lifetime. Add just a small bit at first and with time increase. Our Julio came to us on a very cheap wild bird seed mix, which we switched him a high quality seed mix and blended in Harrison's lifetime. at first, much went to the wild bird feeder, which was eaten with joy by them. Now, he eats a very wide selection of quality seeds, grains, nuts, with Harrison's Lifetime in his dry bowls.

Assure that your Parrot is very active and if possible, flies, or at least flapping his /her wings.

Last edited:

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Racket, did you start Kirby on Harrisonā€™s high potency diet, pepper, and switch him to adult lifetime diet, pepper? Or did you just start him on adult lifetime? My Quaker is eating high potency and is not very treat motivated so I think I would like to switch him to adult lifetime. But heā€™s not so interested in adult lifetime. Thanks.

Lifetime! We didnā€™t do high potency at the time because he was overweight. Once his weight was under control and when it went a little low, we supplemented with high calorie treats (walnuts are a huge fav here) but stayed on Lifetime because I donā€™t think heā€™s a good candidate for High Potency - heā€™s just not active enough.

The tips Sailboat gave are solid - we definitely did our share of running the different pellet through a blender or buying the ā€œVery Fineā€ variety to sprinkle into food and stuff when we started transitioning him.

We were not as careful with our ā€˜tiel because I had thought theyā€™d taste the same and we were really, really wrong, so good on you for being careful!

Most Reactions

Latest posts