Amount of Feeding for Alexandirne baby

Achille

Jul 10, 2011
Hello,

I have had a 32 days-old alexandrine for 2 weeks now. i have been feeding him 3 times daily with exact (Kaytee) formula. As days went by he always wanted more to eat and he is now having 20ml at each feeding.

At what increments should i increase the amount of feeding each time, and till what amount (maximum)?

Thanks

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Is there any way you could ask the breeder? He/she would probably be able to give you the best answer according to how much he feeds the others.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Hi, I am feeding 3 baby Alexandrines ATM but they are only 11 days old.

So your baby is almost 5 weeks old. If the crop will take the volume you can increase the amount of formula just a little at a time. But my chicks can handle 25 to 30 mls by the time they are 5 weeks old but that also depends on the bird. Some babies are bigger at 5 weeks than others of the same age. Try to give an extra ml each day but remember to not over fill the crop.

Also once you notice you little guy starting to pick things up in his/her beak that would be a good time to start introducing soft foods like sprouts, cob corn & apple. Normally that would be around 6 weeks or so. They fledge at 7 to 8 weeks & should be on their way to weaning by 12 weeks. Just a general guide.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Awww, do either of you guys have any pictures of your babies? I would love to see some baby alexes!

OP
A

Achille

Jul 10, 2011
thanks. today he took 100ml in all, and on palpation of the crop it feels full but not hard (super full) for a meal of around 33ml. will keep you posted

will post the photos in the near future :)

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
That's fantastic.

BabyBirds060.jpg

Here is a pic of a Alex chick that just hatched. One i did last year. Will get new pics of the 3 little guys i am doing now.

Most Reactions