an inconvenient way to eat pellets but I'll take it

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
thought I'd share a silly story

So I've been struggling to get Apollo to eat pellets. One day she just decided to stop eating them entirely and has been on a completely seed diet for a couple months now (despite my best efforts) I finally caved and switched her pellet brand to roudybush like a week ago and I havent seen her touch it but I didnt wanna give up yet. Earlier today I was hanging out with the birds doing some trick training with lincoln and apollo was just hanging around her cage. I hear some munching behind me and I look at her shes got her foot up at her mouth and I'm like "what r u chewing on" and she just dropped whatever she was holding so I didn't get a look. I went back to lincoln and she started crunching again this time I got a look and she just had a pellet in her foot. I guess if you want to go to your food dish, grab a pellet or two, go back to the front of the cage to watch us while you eat that's fine by me but seems like a lot of work for you, little girl.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Keep a close eye on how you are storing Pellets. They become stale fairly fast if left out and not kept in sealed containers and best in the freezer. Most pellets are fairly close to their expiration date when one buy them, so keep an eye on the sell by dates.

And, if that is your girl's secret way of eating a pellet, so be it! :D

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Everybody wants a snack while watching a show :p

Jim

Most Reactions