Anaphylactic Reaction to Inhaling Millet???

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Ugh, the drama continues, but this time with me. Today I was working on training with Cozy using millet sprays. Iā€™ve been around it quite a bit since we got Cozy and have had minimal symptoms (a little stuffy nose here and there when we donā€™t put our air filters on, but I always attributed that to bird dust or dander. A this point I have no known allergy to millet, however, I had a anaphylactic reaction today after playing around with the millet. I mean I was in it and pieces were breaking off everywhere because I was trying to snap off a smaller piece from a bigger sprig. I was very close with it, even pretending to eat it so Cozy would take the bait. Instead, about 5-10 mins after training, my throat started tightening and I felt like I was breathing through a pin hole (of course the anxiety that followed made it worse). I popped two Benadryl and stuck my head in the freezer (I know). The Benadryl has worked (although my throat is a bit tight and feels weird). Iā€™m hanging out in a room far from from the cage until the air clears.

Has anyone on here ever had an anaphylactic reaction to inhaling millet?? Iā€™ve done some research and it seems as though bird keepers can experience this. I am praying itā€™s not Cozy that Iā€™m actually allergic too. I cried thinking about having to rehome her. Sheā€™s my baby. šŸ˜¢

Would appreciate some thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks everyone!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
A true allergic reaction like you experienced is something that can be tested for. I'd recommend following up with your doctor. Even a general practice doctor might want you to have an epi pen on hand, for example, until you can be tested for possible allergies.

I've been tested quote a few times and they always take a history of various animals and plants that I might be around regularly, aside from outdoor allergens, and bird dander was one of them, as well as lots of different grasses and grains.

Allergy desensitization injections can help, too. I don't remember off hand how well they work for people; I think it depends on the type of allergen.

Quick thinking with the benadryl and cold exposure! I'm glad you're feeling a little better.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Well as far as the millet, i am simply taking this as a warning, not to let myself inhale the millet or millet shells.

(My own self, at one point I had considered getting a guinea pig --(potentially small enough that my usual allergies to most mammals might not occur)-- but instead found out that I'm Highly Allergic to Timothy Hay, which is a Guinea Pig REQUIREMENT, both as a basic staple of their diet and also for bedding. In addition, there are two types of pellets I have found I am actually allergic to, and cannot have in the house.)

Thankfully for a bird owner, actually inhaling millet is not an actual ownership requirement...

Also it does Sound like an actual allergy -- BUT -- as a small possibility, could it possibly instead have been your body reacting to an Inhaled Irritant? (The little millet shells can float around as badly as their little molting fluffs... I have to keep reminding myself to turn the air filters on High, for my own self. I've woken up a few times with what Felt like allergy (and certainly might've been), but which I suspect was actually triggered by an inhaled tiny-floating-floof instead. You should invest in an air filter, or several, if you have not done so already.

For either case -- the masks which have become commonplace over the past couple years, can be quite helpful. For myself I find if I want to visit a friend with a cat, wearing a mask during the visit can mimimize my reactions afterward. Likewise wearing the mask outside --as much as I keep wanting to forget instead! --helps against my pollen allergies.

I'd recommend for the future, you make a habit of wearing a mask while handling millet sprays, and possibly even when changing their food & cleaning their cages.

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Had another allergic reaction today. In the ER now. No idea why I had it again. I did not inhale any millet today that I know of lol. Praying this is not an allergy to my sweet little bird girlšŸ„ŗ

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Had another allergic reaction today. In the ER now. No idea why I had it again. I did not inhale any millet today that I know of lol. Praying this is not an allergy to my sweet little bird girlšŸ„ŗ
Oh no! I hope this gets figured out soon!

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Well Iā€™m home and doing better-ish. I think it was an over inhalation of bird dander and millet. I really have been spending A LOT of time right next to her cage, pretending to eat her millet, break it apart, getting really close to her with my face even when she is preening. This probably all sounds really stupid. I just love her so much and want her to feel a part of the flock until she is hand tamed more. When she was out of the cage today I held her and I interacted with her fairly close and had no issues. Weā€™ve also removed a blanket that we kept near the cage that I could sit on while I was visiting with her. Everything has been throughout cleaned from top to bottom (cage and surrounding area). I have an allergist appointment in about 10 days. Iā€™m willing to bet that the allergy test will come back negative for birds despite the reaction. I think I was just being an idiot. I need to remember that i canā€™t live in the bird cage with her šŸ˜‚ I will keep everyone posted though in the chance that I am actually allergic with the test. May need to ask around for a rehome from the PF community if thatā€™s the case. Hopefully it wonā€™t be šŸ™šŸ» Thank you for the support and good thoughts!

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Is it possible to feed a budgie a healthy balanced diet without any millet in a seed mix or pellet? Just trying to think ahead in the off chance I am allergic to millet.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Is it possible to feed a budgie a healthy balanced diet without any millet in a seed mix or pellet? Just trying to think ahead in the off chance I am allergic to millet.
A lot of seed mixes contain millet, but you can order seeds in bulk online & make your own mix, some parrot stores (if there is one near you) sell seed or have bulk bins for seed that you can mix yourself. You can also convert him/her to pellet, Harrisonā€™s or TOPS are good brands - smaller birds may not like the ā€œsmallestā€ size TOPS though, so you might need to run it through a food processor to make it smaller.

On either diet they should also be offered fresh veg and limited fruit; lots of good info on that in the diet subforum!

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Thanks Ravvlet! Been trying to get her to eat veggies and some fresh fruit. Itā€™s slow going lol! But I shanā€™t give up. Tonight I made her a warm oatmeal with mashed banana, cinnamon and some egg food. So far she has pretended not to see it šŸ˜‚

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Thanks Ravvlet! Been trying to get her to eat veggies and some fresh fruit. Itā€™s slow going lol! But I shanā€™t give up. Tonight I made her a warm oatmeal with mashed banana, cinnamon and some egg food. So far she has pretended not to see it šŸ˜‚
We are doing that with our new Amazon. It takes a while! Try different kinds- some like fresh, some like purĆ©ed or mashed, etc. we are on week two of him mostly throwing it on the floor. Eventually though they try it and realize itā€™s not poison!

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Well my situation is a bit different
my bird's food has seeds and pellets so my birds just ignore the pellets and waste them so i when i separate the seeds and pellets my eyes become so itchy and then get swollen because I am touching there food i think i have an allergic reaction when i touch their foods for more than 30 mins

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
We are doing that with our new Amazon. It takes a while! Try different kinds- some like fresh, some like purĆ©ed or mashed, etc. we are on week two of him mostly throwing it on the floor. Eventually though they try it and realize itā€™s not poison!
Haha! When I first put nutriberries in her cage, she was kicking them around like little soccer balls out of her dish.

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Well my situation is a bit different
my bird's food has seeds and pellets so my birds just ignore the pellets and waste them so i when i separate the seeds and pellets my eyes become so itchy and then get swollen because I am touching there food i think i have an allergic reaction when i touch their foods for more than 30 mins
Interesting. We recently switched up her seed mix to Dr Harveyā€™s. But itā€™s so fresh and there are lots of human allergens in it . I wonder if thatā€™s the reason. Looking forward to going to the allergist!

Most Reactions

Latest posts