Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I've never stumbled upon a parrot skeletonā€”until now. My hunch is that this is not anatomically correct. Could anyone comment on parts that specifically are or are not? The right foot does not look zygodactyl, for example. The rib cage looks human. :]

1664974056472.png

Source here:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Doesn't look real to me either. I don't think it's intended to be realistic, as the description of the product says it's a Halloween decoration.

The first thing that grabs my attention is the wings. Birds don't have so many bones in the wings. When clipping my birds(I don't do it anymore, used to before learning about side effects), there were only a few bones at the top of the wings. Not like the parrot in the pic.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very good interpretations (above)of a not even close example. In addition, it is just too heavy for it to be a flighted creature. Open one's Avian Medical book and the vast differences become quickly apparent.

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Open one's Avian Medical book and the vast differences become quickly apparent.
Funny you mention that. I loaned mine to my local-rescue owner. I feel bad asking to get back.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Funny you mention that. I loaned mine to my local-rescue owner. I feel bad asking to get back.

Remember that you loaned it to that person, they should expect you to ask for its return. I find I use mine at most a couple of times a year and unless I upgraded to a new version, it remains in its location until next time.

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Remember that you loaned it to that person, they should expect you to ask for its return.
I am sure she would happily return it if asked, but she helps a lot of people help a lot of parrots, and she found it useful. I think I just decided that I donated it to the rescue, and I need another. :]

OP
LeeC

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Yeah, its wings and tail are SO incorrect....

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Parrots have a fused keel for the massive flight muscles to attach, not all those individual ribs.

The wings are very off, too. The leading edge of the wing should be kind of one long ā€œfingerā€ and the flight feathers are attached into that bone.

The tail is a feathered extension of the back vertebrae and not multiple long bones extending out.

Itā€™s amazing that avian skeleton has many of the same basic bones as mammal skeleton (if you compare bone by bone) but the skeleton is stretched and twisted for flight and perching as well as being hollow in most birds. Thereā€™s an almost architectural structure inside the bones of struts which fill and support those bones but let them remain very light weight.

Most Reactions

Latest posts