Annoying problem

Kez323

Jan 26, 2016
Hi!

I'm new here so cut me some slack.

I've had my rainbow lorikeet for quite a while now. He has started talking and can say a few words, not much though.

However, recently he has started making this loud long annoying noise. Its really irritating and especially in the early mornings!!!

Hes fed well, big cage, loads of toys, comes out a lot, flys around, sits on my shoulder and hangs around on my desk.

So, whats with the noise? What am I doing wrong?

Here is a video of him doing it:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4bDdTJrxCc"]Annoying af - YouTube[/ame]

Many thanks!

P.S Any info is great info!

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Hi!

I'm new here

I've had my rainbow lorikeet for quite a while now. He has started talking and can say a few words, not much though.

However, recently he has started making this loud long annoying noise. Its really irritating and especially in the early mornings!!!

Hes fed well, big cage, loads of toys, comes out a lot, flys around, sits on my shoulder and hangs around on my desk.

So, whats with the noise? What am I doing wrong?

Here is a video of him doing it:
Annoying af - YouTube

Many thanks!

P.S Any info is great info!

Welcome to the Forums. Very pretty bird. I am sure someone will come along soon to help.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome to the forums. :)

What a pretty guy! How old is he? I'm not overly familiar with lories/lorikeets, but could this be his contact call to you?

thebirdnerd

Dec 28, 2010
Parrots
Whitefaced Pied Male Tiel- official greeter at the Rainbow Bridge, forever in our hearts,
Turquoise Mutation IRN,
Congo African Grey- please come home to us,
Blue mutation IRN
He probably finds that making this noise is fun and will get attention from you. Try to completely ignore it. Whenever he does it, leave the room.. No attention whatsoever. Im not super familiar with lories but they are parrots so training them to stop should be the same with any other.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome!
I think he is flock calling. My friend currently has 2 lories in her rescue, and they do this every morning as well. He's a beautiful boy!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If he makes other noises or talks, you can highly reward *THAT* behavior over the one he's doing. In short, if he's doing an undesired behavior, instead of simply ignoring it, try replacing it with a more desired behavior by highly rewarding that behavior.

bgriffin70

Feb 23, 2014
Ahh... this one is simple. Your bird is upset because he wants your full attention RIGHT NOW !!!!! LOL My Green Bean does this very same thing if I put her up in the middle of play time, or what she defines as "play time." In other words, your bird simply wants your attention and is, as we say... "pitching a fit."
In the mornings, he's simply saying "hurry up and get up and fix me my breakfast." LOL
Beautiful birdie; welcome to the forum. I hope this helps.

bgriffin70

Feb 23, 2014
If you think this is bad, you should hear my Beanie go nuts if one of the cats comes near her cage, even if innocently walking to their water / food dish. :D
She will make that continuous 'squawking' and then say, "Green Bean not happy, bad ol' kitty cats!" I have no idea how she picked up the Green Bean not happy; that one surprised us. LOL The "bad ol' kitty cats," that was me teaching her. LOL It is absolutely hilarious to watch the cats stop in their tracks when they hear the bird start talking and saying clear sentences!

lorika

Jun 28, 2015
The Netherlands
Parrots
Loki, a strong-willed but adorable Rainbow Lorikeet
Haha, my lorikeet screams his lungs out too, sometimes... But it's gotten a lot less since I've started to just completely ignore it. Now if he wants my attention, he'll try to whistle something he knows I like ^_^ And I try to reward that behaviour with a treat or maybe if I'm very busy a 'Good boy!' and a smile :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts