Another 2 desserts you can share with your bird!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Not sure if anyone tried the bird-safe carob "brownies", but here's 2 more enjoyable for people and safe to share desserts I made up this weekend! Applesauce cake with creamy frosting and vanilla spice ice cream. All vegan and all bird-safe healthy ingredients!

DSC_6972_zps1bc67f62.jpg

DSC_6974_zps11aa28fd.jpg

For the applesauce cake, I prefer to make my own applesauce, but you can use unsweetened store bought:)

2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cups buckwheat flour
1tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt

Mix ingredients and pour into a 8X8 pan. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean

Frosting:
1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
1/4 cup non-dairy milk (nut milk is preferable, I used homemade hazelnut pecan milk:32:)
1/4cup agave or maple syrup
2tbsp olive oil
1tsp vanilla
2tsp lemon juice
1/2tsp salt

Drain and rinse the cashews before pouring into the food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients, then plus/scrape until mixture begins to smooth out. Let it run in the food processor for about 5 minutes to reach a creamy frosting-like consistency. Spread like any frosting on a cooled cake.

I've been making the "ice cream" since last summer and it is so ridiculously easy to add whatever 'flavors' you want (strawberries, carob, vanilla, peanut butter, mint ext....). I'll just give the instructions for the basic vanilla ice cream, and you can experiment further if you want:

6 ripe bananas
2tbsp non-dairy milk (I find nut milks work best)
1tbsp vanilla

-Basically, all you do is peel & chop the bananas, then freeze for 4 hours. Once frozen, put in the food processor. Add 2tbsp non-dairy milk and 1tbsp vanilla. Pulse, then scrape until the frozen bananas start to smooth out, then allow the processor to run of 3-4 minutes until the mixture reaches a soft-serve like consistency. You can eat it like that, but for a more ice-cream like texture, re-freeze and it will be very close to regular ice cream. Best thing? You can eat as much as you'd like and so can your bird(s) because it's just made of bananas!!!

Last edited:

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Mmmmm...can't wait to try these!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
They sound yummy! But, I do NOT share dessert! :09:

How does your flock and family feel about this?:20: Sharing is caring with these feathery creatures, you know:32:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

How does your flock and family feel about this?:20: Sharing is caring with these feathery creatures, you know:32:

Haha :) I can relate... Poor Robin doesn't even look at me while I'm eating anymore since he knows the drill LOL. I'll admit... I'm sort of a strange human when it comes to this, but I want to enjoy my food in peace lol.. occasionally if it's something I want to share, I'll take a little piece and set it off to the side, and give it AFTER I'm done eating. Come on, it's really not that mean :D. Many times when I eat in the room with them, it will just make them go to their own bowls and start eating their own food :).

btw... that cake looks soooo good :32:

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

Haha :) I can relate... Poor Robin doesn't even look at me while I'm eating anymore since he knows the drill LOL. I'll admit... I'm sort of a strange human when it comes to this, but I want to enjoy my food in peace lol.. occasionally if it's something I want to share, I'll take a little piece and set it off to the side, and give it AFTER I'm done eating. Come on, it's really not that mean :D. Many times when I eat in the room with them, it will just make them go to their own bowls and start eating their own food :).

Poooooorrrrr Robin:( Lol, I'm just kidding. I know you love all your birdies and take great care of them. I suppose if they've never been table eaters, then they're not missing anything in their minds. I guess because I grew up with parrots at (and on) the table, it's kind of weird to have a meal in peace. We rarely eat out, but when we do, I always feel so guilty when I have something I know Kiwi would really like. I tend to bring a container in my purse to bring little bits of food home in (that way I don't have to ask for a box for 2 vegetables and a bit of bread lol). Once thing my parents allow that I do not is parrots on the table. Uh-uh. They'll walk through your plate, get into food they shouldn't eat, fight with your fork and make a huge mess/be a huge pain. He can sit on his perch that's on the table and quietly eat what he's offered, but he knows better than to come down and help himself. I banned that the night I turned my back for 2 seconds and he climbed INTO a giant serving bowl full of pasta and was mucking about, running his toes through it whilst gleefully chowing down:52:

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon

Poooooorrrrr Robin:( Lol, I'm just kidding. I know you love all your birdies and take great care of them. I suppose if they've never been table eaters, then they're not missing anything in their minds. I guess because I grew up with parrots at (and on) the table, it's kind of weird to have a meal in peace. We rarely eat out, but when we do, I always feel so guilty when I have something I know Kiwi would really like. I tend to bring a container in my purse to bring little bits of food home in (that way I don't have to ask for a box for 2 vegetables and a bit of bread lol). Once thing my parents allow that I do not is parrots on the table. Uh-uh. They'll walk through your plate, get into food they shouldn't eat, fight with your fork and make a huge mess/be a huge pain. He can sit on his perch that's on the table and quietly eat what he's offered, but he knows better than to come down and help himself. I banned that the night I turned my back for 2 seconds and he climbed INTO a giant serving bowl full of pasta and was mucking about, running his toes through it whilst gleefully chowing down:52:

It was a hard habit to break with Zilla since they used to let her get in their plates and run all over the table eating whatever she wanted. It's just something I can't do! I never let my cats eat off my plate (not that they would want to) I have never let my dogs eat off my plate. I had to start by feeding her off my fork from my plate to keep her out of my plate. Now she gets her own plate (saucer) and I put her food on it and put it on the shelf/door of her cage and that's where she eats while I eat sitting in my chair. Sometimes she begs for something from my plate and if it's something she can have I give it to her after I'm finished eating.

Most Reactions

Latest posts