Another day in the life...

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Having decided to clean I got my bag of bits out of the cupboard. It happens to be a bag that Syd has hated since first sight so right on cue he started screaming as if he was being slowly killed. After several minutes waiting for him to calm down and ignoring him, my ears aching with the volume, I did something I have never done before.

Quite unpremeditatedly I rounded on him and told him in no uncertain terms what an idiot he was, that he had seen it many times before, it was just a silly bag and to stop his awful noise. He looked at me in the way only a small parrot can, said very quietly 'OK' and has ignored it ever since!

I was so surprised I stood looking at him thunderstruck as he turned and started preening as if nothing had happened. Now I'm wondering just how much he does really understand. Life will never be quite the same again!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
There is so much we don't know about inter-species communication. Wouldn't be surprised if comprehension is combination of speech, body language, vibes, pheromones, and avenues we can only speculate.

Most Reactions

Latest posts