Another feather baby! and a friend for Vino???

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Vino - Alexandrine, Spot - Congo African Grey
Hello All,

My Vino stopped speaking when the amazon at her first home passed away and I've been thinking about getting another bird to help keep her company when I'm at work (and because I'd love another feather baby!). My amazing husband has given me the ok to get another parrot! God I love him!
Any suggestions on breeds? I've been thinking a blue or lutino ARN or maybe a quaker....

Thoughts???

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots
'Ringo' - alexandrine, hatched 2012 ~ 'Prinny' - princess parrot, 1992-2012 RIP
I think I read somewhere that ring-necks (& alexandrines) have a tendancy to get along best with other ring-necks/asiatic parrots. I'm sure someone else will know more than me though...

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Our IRN gets along very well with my Alexandrines, I have heard that ARN(guessing it's an african ringneck). Are calmer than IRN's. Which I would think would be a better match. But I know a lot of people keep their IRN/Alexandrines together. And have had no problems.

Be careful they can breed together.

Not sure how a quaker would go with an alexandrine though.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I wasn't aware that ARN's were common enough in Canada for there to be mutations of them, unless you mean IRN's?

Any possible way you could go and interact with a variety of species (not breeds) to find one suitable for you? You might even come across one you didn't think about before!

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I suggest you could go to a bird fair and bring Vino with you! Then you could see what breeds he's attracted to and which one you like. I agree with all the above I reccomend a IRN or a ARN

OP
Devann

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Thanks guys! I totally meant IRN, i've never heard of an ARN - that was actually a typo but i'll look into those too...
Birdlover thats a great idea but i don't think I've ever heard of a bird fair around here. I'll google it though!

OP
Devann

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
OMG theres a bird show next weekend like 20 minutes from my house!!! could be fate??? I think i've got my heart set on a lutino IRN though.... totally gonna check out the show first though!

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
What about a Derbyan parakeet? and please reconsider bringing your Alexandrine to a bird fair, you have no idea if those birds are healthy or not and it's risking your birds life. I'm a bit stunned people even suggested doing that!

Going alone is fine, just take a shower and change your clothes before going around your birdie so any dander from the show is washed off.

Last edited:
OP
Devann

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
What about a Derbyan parakeet? and please reconsider bringing your Alexandrine to a bird fair, you have no idea if those birds are healthy or not and it's risking your birds life. I'm a bit stunned people even suggested doing that!

Going alone is fine, just take a shower and change your clothes before going around your birdie so any dander from the show is washed off.

Oh I would never take Vino with me! For exactly the reasons you stated and also because I live in Canada and it's too chilly out to take her outside unnecessarily... I'll be going by myself and I will check out Derbyans as well :)

Most Reactions