Another leg band question…

nikki9093

Jan 25, 2021
So I’m now know that my Sun Conure and my yellow sided gcc have leg band that have BBF for their lettering. There’s numbers there too, but I’m more wanting to know if anyone has an idea what the BBF is? Both bands are open bands added after-the -fact. Store code? Breeder/importer code? State code? Help!
Oh… the suns band is not color coded while the gcc has a blue band.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
BBF may be the breeder or aviary they came from.

Maybe you could find breeders located near where you got your conures and call or email to see if they produced your birds?

I have tried to do that with Willow but haven’t had much luck. Then again, I wasn’t his first owner and I don’t know where he came from.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Leg bands have zero standardization and have zero meaning except to the person who put them on. There is no national or state database or registry of leg band numbers or anything like that. It would be good for all parties involved (except maybe to thieves or flippers), breeders, vets, owners, LEO's, etc etc. but alas no.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Leg bands have zero standardization and have zero meaning except to the person who put them on. There is no national or state database or registry of leg band numbers or anything like that. It would be good for all parties involved (except maybe to thieves or flippers), breeders, vets, owners, LEO's, etc etc. but alas no.
That’s true. But, if you were in Chicago and bought an African grey parrot, found ten breeders near Chicago who bred greys, and one of them used a prefix like “bff” and a year, you could ask if they bred a chick with band # such and such.

With poultry, you can get whatever # you want. It’s just for the individual to tell their birds apart. But those are wing bands, not leg bands.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
37 years ago, I found the Rickeybird's legband/interpretation/everything by exhaustively canvassing every bird breeder in New Mexico... pre-internet days, ya know. Finally found her. It was worth every it of trouble.

Most Reactions

Latest posts