Another Veggie Mix!

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I only have three cubes of the other mix left so we went shopping and I made up a new mix. This one is more of a root veggie based mix.

The Mix -

Made more than double the amount of the other mix I made up.

A hit with the cockatiels, the green cheeks, and the cockatoo:D. My sun is still turning his nose up at all things fresh....

The ingredients -
Beet (greens included, skinned), Carrots (plus tops), Fennel, Ginger Root, Turnip, Parsnip, Radish (greens included), Yam (cooked, skinned), Jicama (skinned), Butternut Squash (including the seeds, cooked, skinned), Red and Green Sweet Peppers, Hot Pepper, Red and Gold Quinoa (cooked), Wild and Brown Rice (cooked), Amaranth (cooked), Lentils (cooked), Chickpeas (cooked)

Side Note - Jicama Skin is apparently an organic poison so thats why I skinned it.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Such cute pictures !![I love it] . Looks like healthy stuff :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
They are enjoying that so much! Thank you for sharing the recipe:)

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
No problem! I was going to put mashed up apples in to add more of a sweet flavor but forgot all about it until I already had everything in the trays and bagged....oh well the horse will enjoy the more expensive apples I bought for the mix:D

tania

Jan 23, 2014
Media
Albums
pakistan
Parrots
2 ringnecks
wwow thats awsome i mean woould ulike too tell me a simple just a simple mixure that contain 4 or5 vegies and doesnt need to bake plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Nice job!! I love the photos of the cockatiels with food all over their beaks. They obviously like the recipe.

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
4 to 5 ingredients is usually better then the amount I chose to add to make a mix! I just went a little crazy on this one:)

So I've never had a ringneck and I don't know what any favorite veggies are for yours but I looked online a little. I saw that apples seem to be a favorite so I would add that mashed to any mix if you are having trouble getting yours to eat veggies. That way it has a bit of apple flavor coating everything to entice them.

Pretty much anything you want can be added to a mix! Maybe try

Beets (with the greens still attached but skinned, make sure to wash these well),
Butternut squash (raw or cooked, the seeds can be feed but maybe save it for later instead of putting it in the mix, skin it since the skin in enough quantity can be a bit toxic),
Carrots,
Bell Peppers (I don't feed the seeds)

You can add crushed red pepper to make it a bit spicy! For the beets you can either put the leaves in the mix or hang them in the cage for them to tear apart.

Another mix could be purple cabbage (I trash the outer leaves), raw butternut squash (skinned), maybe a bell pepper for more color, mango (skinned), pasta, brown rice, and crushed red pepper. I also added coconut oil (heated so it is an oil and not a paste like substance) when I made this but some of the birds don't seem to like the coconut flavor. There are a lot of grains in this mix so be careful not to overfeed grains in other parts of their diet when you feed this mix.

Hope this gives you some ideas:D

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Thanks Allee:) The cockatiels will eat anything these days before I couldn't even get them to try one thing!

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Awww, I love the dirty birdie beakies!! So cute!! Do they also spray everywhere when they shake their heads to get rid of the excess??

What is jicama?? I've never heard of it?

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Yep! The poor wall...

Jicama is a root veggie. Kind of reminds you of a weird looking yam or potato when you see it. I didn't even know my grocery store sold it until I went looking after examining the safe food list. It kind of tastes like a cross between an apple and potato. I was eating it as I made it up so it isn't bad:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts