Antibiotic got in my Birds Eye!!

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello šŸ‘‹ I have a male cockatiel named Kiko.

I had recently posted about Kiko not feeling too well and was prescribed metacam. He got prescribed enrofloxacin today because the metacam was not working that well. Today we gave him his first dosage and my dad accidentally got a drop in his eye. His eye looked a little irritated at first and then started watering, like how someoneā€™s eye gets watery if something goes in your eye. I sprayed water in his eye and his eye doesnā€™t look so bad right now, but is this dangerous? Will he be alright?

Thanks to anyone who replies ā¤ļø

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

I had recently posted about Kiko not feeling too well and was prescribed metacam. He got prescribed enrofloxacin today because the metacam was not working that well. Today we gave him his first dosage and my dad accidentally got a drop in his eye. His eye looked a little irritated at first and then started watering, like how someoneā€™s eye gets watery if something goes in your eye. I sprayed water in his eye and his eye doesnā€™t look so bad right now, but is this dangerous? Will he be alright?

I would keep an eye on it, and if it gets more inflamed it would be worth a call or visit to your vet. If you got it all washed out, I think he will be fine:)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

I would get some plain saline solution, either unreserved contact lens saline or eye wash solution for humans and rinse his eye with it instead of plain water. Water can burn when you get it in the eye because it doesn't have the correct amount of salt in it. Saline solution is much gentler on the eyes.

Most Reactions