Antics

OP
thegars

thegars

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Florida
Parrots
4 1/2 years old now CAG..got her at 14 weeks...Debbie is still clown! Now almost 4 1/2....never a dull moment!
Not sure how I haven’t updated this thread…Debbie is now almost 6 years old now…my wife is like her best friend and will sit with her or on her hand for what seems like hours, most days. Every once in a while she will decide her hand is a “bad” perch for not paying attention and a fairly hard nip follows. She has a complete disdain for my wife’s iPad and makes sure my wife can’t be on it, her iPhone though is just fine to mess with…
I’m still the one to give head scratches, which when she wants them she’ll fly over, say “pretty“ and put her head down. If she gets frightened I’m the one she flies to.
Some of you may have read in another post of her seizure at the vets. Nothing to report there, haven’t been back but it’s time. My apprehension is a tad high but her nails are too long and extremely sharp right now. We have attempted without much success to have her allow us to file her nails ourself without restraining her, haha! Been desensitizing her around her “vet” cage, basically a hard shell cat carrier, because the veterinarian didn’t want her to harm herself getting her out of a wire cage.
Anyway, life with our highly intelligent, highly entertaining CAG is AWESOME!

OP
thegars

thegars

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Florida
Parrots
4 1/2 years old now CAG..got her at 14 weeks...Debbie is still clown! Now almost 4 1/2....never a dull moment!
Not sure how I haven’t updated this thread…Debbie is now almost 6 years old now…my wife is like her best friend and will sit with her or on her hand for what seems like hours, most days. Every once in a while she will decide her hand is a “bad” perch for not paying attention and a fairly hard nip follows. She has a complete disdain for my wife’s iPad and makes sure my wife can’t be on it, her iPhone though is just fine to mess with…
I’m still the one to give head scratches, which when she wants them she’ll fly over, say “pretty“ and put her head down. If she gets frightened I’m the one she flies to.
Some of you may have read in another post of her seizure at the vets. Nothing to report there, haven’t been back but it’s time. My apprehension is a tad high but her nails are too long and extremely sharp right now. We have attempted without much success to have her allow us to file her nails ourself without restraining her, haha! Been desensitizing her around her “vet” cage, basically a hard shell cat carrier, because the veterinarian didn’t want her to harm herself getting her out of a wire cage.
I guess I should have scanned my thread better…anyway…we’re all doing well

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I love this update! You worked through the issues with Debbie, and came through the other side. Your thread will give so much comfort and hope to people dealing with the same issues. Thank you for this wonderful update!

OP
thegars

thegars

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Florida
Parrots
Good morning CAG hoomans….our Debbie…some days…yesterday was a day that for some reason she just decided that I was not her pal…lately she’s been awesome with her behavior, flying to me in the morning for head scratches and some closeness, then flying off to sit in the dining room to stare out the window for a while.
Yesterday was pr much the same until time to go into her cage…stepped up, no problem, got to her cage, no problem, put her on her perch and bang, a bite, then tried to get me as I closed the door. Later went after my hand while I changed her food and water, from outside the cage. She spent the rest of the day very shy.
Watching her closely, poop is normal, her diet the same as usual, she’s not ruffled up, just was a “bitch”…very unfriendly, not normal!
Today she’s more her usual self but darn, it’s upsetting when you lose that trust! Even for a day!
Concern is more because I’m going to have to take her to the vet for nail trim and that in itself is a huge ordeal for her, even after almost 6 years of the same regiment.

OP
thegars

thegars

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Florida
Parrots
Well, Debbie will be 7 in about 6-7 weeks (October 7), and at present she’s stopped the attacks and most biting, most, just make sure she’s paying attention when approaching, her first reaction may very well be a chomp!
She has become enamored with my wife, follows her everywhere! My wife gets to touch her feet more easily than I do but I’m the source for head scratching!
We have become a family!

OP
thegars

thegars

Jul 21, 2018
Media
Florida
Parrots
So you didn't allow them to grow in their flight feathers until they were a few years old? I don't plan on ever clipping Davy's but I would like to avoid this behavior change :/ maybe it's different if they grow up flying instead of gaining the ability later on?
No…she’s been flighted since her first molt! She’s been trimmed a couple of times for behavior issues.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not to step into a discussion, but flight feathers and their using them (flying) is critical to their cardiovascular system that drive those muscles and most important a longer life.

Just my two cents.

Oh, also, at or about this time, it is not uncommon for them switch alliances. But do not back away, just make sure you are the ones that provides the treats and rides. And, assure that both of you work to assure a balanced relationship.

Most Reactions

Latest posts