Anxious Human, Anxios Bird?

Myldspice

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
Blue Opaline Peachfaced Lovebird
Hi All, new member here. I recently bought a 4 week old Peachface, and I have a couple questions. The bird seems very restless at night, I have it covered but I hear small chirps and rustling from inside the cage. Any time I remove it from the cage it climbs right up next to my neck. I believe the bird is bonding with me, and maybe has separation anxiety?

Please calm my brain and let me know what you think is going on.

Thanks

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forums!!
Take a long deep breath or two and relax.

It is not unusual for a young Parrot or even an older Parrot in a new home to be restless and especially at night. All those new sounds of a new home and none of those were he was. Time and comfort with the new home and that will pass.

With great luck, your Parrot as quickly developed a comfort being around you and you are off to a great start. With time and a developing comfort with a new home, your Parrot will be ever more comfortable with being more active away from you.

Parrots are highly social creatures and commonly like to be with the group. As a result, being around you makes sense.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Just covering a parrot to make it dark in the cage is not enough to provide the circumstances they need for a good sleep. It should be dark AND quiet. A TV or radio/video game/etc playing in the same room as the cage is not going to let the parrot settle down for a good nights sleep. If its kept in the family room or living area, consider have a sleep cage in a room where the noise level is significantly less then those areas of the house.

OP
M

Myldspice

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
Welcome to Parrot Forums!!
Take a long deep breath or two and relax.

It is not unusual for a young Parrot or even an older Parrot in a new home to be restless and especially at night. All those new sounds of a new home and none of those were he was. Time and comfort with the new home and that will pass.

With great luck, your Parrot as quickly developed a comfort being around you and you are off to an great start. With time and a developing comfort with a new home, your Parrot will be ever more comfortable with being more active away from you.

Parrots are highly social creatures and commonly like to be with the group. As a result, being around you makes sense.
Thanks for your reply. You've done a lot in the way of calming my mind... I don't mean to get worked up but I overthink a lot because of my anxiety disorder.

Thanks Again
Mitch

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My parrots make kiss noises to me if I enter their room at night. I don’t turn the light on or bother them, but they’re alert enough that they can tell it’s me.

It’s nothing to worry about; remember your bird is asleep standing upon its perch and it’s not as soundly asleep as a human.

Last edited:
OP
M

Myldspice

Nov 23, 2022
Parrots
HI everyone, thanks for your replies. Pics of Gizmo to follow shortly, when he has some more feathers :p

Most Reactions