Any help would be appreciated

Floofy

Jan 27, 2022
Parrots
1. Coco my first Quaker parrot and I also have 2 Cockatiels Named Angel and Pluma
I recently took my bird Coco to the vet since she's been acting a little off and they told me to switch her diet to pellets which I have bought for her and they also gave her vitamin b12 and meloxicam and she ate some of the food I have her new and she seemed to like it. But now she's acting weird again and she sometimes doesn't wanna move one of her legs and I'm very worried any tips for anything I could do to help?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am going to guess that your Vet did not provide post visit document which defined what they found a the treatment they recommended. Some Vets also provide a list of changes that if seen they would want you back at their clinic.

What you are seeing at this point, warrants a call!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
agree let the veterinarian know if the changes. Just like with us humans sometimes takes a couple if visits to get everything sorted..

Melaxicam is a pain medication, what was her pain from before?

Diet change , you need to be checking weight. Some birds will not eat enough and starve themselves to death. So you need to check weight to be sure . If her weight was fine and they just want healthier diet then make sure no weight loss. A digital kitchen scale set to grams.
We go by % body mass lost as its difficult to go by weight when we have large sbd small species here.
More 3 % lost check with vet , more than 5% lost get in with vet quickly, 10% or more very sick bird support care snd feeding likely needed.
Calculate by taking grams lost ÷normal weight x 100 = % lost.

Example 5 grams lost normal weight 107
5÷107= 0.046 x 100 = 4.6% body mass lost

Also parrots body temp runs warmer than humans 104plus . So provide extra warmth is supportive and helpful with sick birds. With Temps plunging move burds away from exterior windows. I had to move mine about 4 feet away from windows to get out of that cold pocket.

Seed eater are low in vitamins abd nutrients. A good source would be feeding pepper, bell pepper especially the yellow , orange and red are well liked by most South America parrot species. And are great source of vitamin A! Also try cooked sweet potatoes and cooked butternut squash also tempting many parrots.

Last edited:
OP
Floofy

Floofy

Jan 27, 2022
Parrots
1. Coco my first Quaker parrot and I also have 2 Cockatiels Named Angel and Pluma
agree let the veterinarian know if the changes. Just like with us humans sometimes takes a couple if visits to get everything sorted..

Melaxicam is a pain medication, what was her pain from before?

Diet change , you need to be checking weight. Some birds will not eat enough and starve themselves to death. So you need to check weight to be sure . If her weight was fine and they just want healthier diet then make sure no weight loss. A digital kitchen scale set to grams.
We go by % body mass lost as its difficult to go by weight when we have large sbd small species here.
More 3 % lost check with vet , more than 5% lost get in with vet quickly, 10% or more very sick bird support care snd feeding likely needed.
Calculate by taking grams lost ÷normal weight x 100 = % lost.

Example 5 grams lost normal weight 107
5÷107= 0.046 x 100 = 4.6% body mass lost

Also parrots body temp runs warmer than humans 104plus . So provide extra warmth is supportive and helpful with sick birds. With Temps plunging move burds away from exterior windows. I had to move mine about 4 feet away from windows to get out of that cold pocket.

Seed eater are low in vitamins abd nutrients. A good source would be feeding pepper, bell pepper especially the yellow , orange and red are well liked by most South America parrot species. And are great source of vitamin A! Also try cooked sweet potatoes and cooked butternut squash also tempting many parrots.
So they gave her the meloxicam was because they told me the food I was giving her previously was not nutritious enough which I felt irresponsible for and I bought her the ones he recommended. After the vet she was back to normal for a long time it was at night where she began with the leg thing again but other than that she's mostly back to her more hyper self but I assume she just needs time to get fully better. I also add vitamins to her water which I bought from petsmart and I make sure she eats her food to make sure she doesn't stay hungry she's always with me since she sleeps in my room. I'd take her more to the vet and buy her more things but I haven't been called to work yet and I'm very short on money along with dealing with college but I always spend time with her and make sure she's happy. Also is it normal she sometimes keeps one eye closed for a bit? I can't tell if it's her being tired since she falls asleep shortly after. I live in Puerto Rico so it's always hot here she has her cage next to the window where the sun can go through and she loves sitting there with the small breeze from my fan or the wind.

Most Reactions

Latest posts