North Dakota, US
Parrots
Basil, eclectus.
Melania, eclectus.
River, blue and gold macaw.
Lucky, quaker.
Marley, quaker.
Kiwi, lovebird.
Hi! I posted in my welcome post that I'm picking up a 15 year old female BG macaw in about 3 weeks. I have experience volunteering with macaws but no real personal experience. Does anyone have any tips or advice, I'll take even the most basic of advice!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forums!

1. Read the Threads at the top of Macaw Forum!
2. Read the Macaw Forum!

FYI: Have you spend anything with this Macaw, like up close and personal, one of one time? And, as a result of this face to face time, does this Macaw kind of like you? If you haven't done this, you really need too!!! Spend as much time with this Macaw before you bring her home!!!

NOTE: Macaws' can obtain the noise level of a Jet Engine (no joke). If you are renting, you may not be able to have a Macaw in your Apartment. If you own a home, the further from neighbors the better.

LokisMomma

Jun 14, 2020
Florida
Parrots
Loki—Catalina Macaw, male
What is this macaws experience? Has she been handled often or cage bound, been in a loving home or a neglectful one? Knowing These things will give you a much better idea of what to expect. But regardless, the best advice I could give is patience! Be prepared for some things to take months to work on. Bonding doesn’t happen right away, and it can be difficult to have a bird that you love to pieces but who doesn’t want much to do with you. Take you time, don’t rush, lots of positive reinforcement (treats!), and know that the way the bird is in the first few days or weeks probably will not be the way she is forever :)
Congratulations!! They are amazing creatures and really become a best friend that you couldn’t imagine being without :)

OP
MissAnnamarie

MissAnnamarie

Nov 2, 2018
North Dakota, US
Parrots
Basil, eclectus.
Melania, eclectus.
Lucky, quaker.
Marley, quaker.
Kiwi, lovebird.
I actually haven't even met her once since she is 5 hours away. I can DM anyone the story of her if they wanna hear it but I don't feel comfortable posting it publically. I wish I could travel up there to see her so bad.

OP
MissAnnamarie

MissAnnamarie

Nov 2, 2018
North Dakota, US
Parrots
Basil, eclectus.
Melania, eclectus.
Lucky, quaker.
Marley, quaker.
Kiwi, lovebird.
What is this macaws experience? Has she been handled often or cage bound, been in a loving home or a neglectful one? Knowing These things will give you a much better idea of what to expect. But regardless, the best advice I could give is patience! Be prepared for some things to take months to work on. Bonding doesn’t happen right away, and it can be difficult to have a bird that you love to pieces but who doesn’t want much to do with you. Take you time, don’t rush, lots of positive reinforcement (treats!), and know that the way the bird is in the first few days or weeks probably will not be the way she is forever :)
Congratulations!! They are amazing creatures and really become a best friend that you couldn’t imagine being without :)

I'm super excited to bond with her and learn her no matter how long it takes! I can DM you the story if you wanna hear it but I'm not super sure of the backstory from before 6 months ago when I learned OF her. Thank you for the advice!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hello and welcome! I was going to post some stuff for new bird owners, but I see you already have many. I have no specific advice, other than look at the macaw forums very thoroughly.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
FYI: You will need to have a Super Mod (names found in purple) to intercede for you should you want or need to PM another Member. This as a means of Protecting Junior Members and Members from Spammers and alike.

Wow, five hours North would place your Macaw near or over the Canada Boarder. If you are crossing the boarder there would be documentation requirements, just saying...

JMTC, set your travel up so that day one you travel to where your Macaw is and meet with your Macaw that day. The following day, if all is going well, pick your Macaw mid-early morning so that you are traveling during the day and arrive at your home prior to darkness setting in.

OP
MissAnnamarie

MissAnnamarie

Nov 2, 2018
North Dakota, US
Parrots
Basil, eclectus.
Melania, eclectus.
Lucky, quaker.
Marley, quaker.
Kiwi, lovebird.
FYI: You will need to have a Super Mod (names found in purple) to intercede for you should you want or need to PM another Member. This as a means of Protecting Junior Members and Members from Spammers and alike.

Wow, five hours North would place your Macaw near or over the Canada Boarder. If you are crossing the boarder there would be documentation requirements, just saying...

JMTC, set your travel up so that day one you travel to where your Macaw is and meet with your Macaw that day. The following day, if all is going well, pick your Macaw mid-early morning so that you are traveling during the day and arrive at your home prior to darkness setting in.

Hi! Thank you for the info about PMing, I didn't know. Did I accidentally say North? She's 5 hours east, in Minnesota. I like the idea of travelling and then picking her up after I meet with her, I'm gonna do that

Most Reactions

Latest posts