Anyone Crochet?

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Being Locked down hasn't been all that bad. I actually took the time to teach myself how to crochet. Something I've been wanting to learn for years. Here are some samples of my creations.
Everyone got hats, scarfs & slippers last year for Christmas .... 😄

Slippers 4 Fen Girls .jpgIMG_1738.jpgFlip Flops Sister .jpgIMG_2560.jpgTyler _ Cindy .jpg
crocodile purse.jpg Jack Skellington Hat.jpg Tote Bag.jpg Chemo Hat.jpgFlipFlop.jpg
Poncho Set.jpg John Luke Hat_Mitten Set .jpg Blue Ponytail Hat .jpg Moms Doily.jpgSmall Alpine Purse.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
WOW Tami, you’ve done some beautiful work here!! My sainted grandmother was an avid crocheter but I never had the patience (or the skill!) to pick it up myself – you have some serious talent going on here, lady!! Oooooh I do love that white alpine purse, I’d have been pretty darned happy with that as a Christmas present and I’ll bet they all went down a treat with everyone lucky enough to have been gifted with your handiwork. Nothing nicer than a handmade present made with love 💖

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Awww thank you my friend. I agree, about handmade gifts. There's so much thought put into it. From the items chosen to the perfect yarn colors & textures etc ... It is quite the gift of love.

I actually made wallets to match all the purses. Here is the matching wallet for the Alpine Stitch Purse.

Alpine Stitch Wallet .jpg
Gotta love You Tube for tutorials. I get an idea & then look it up on you tube. Plus, my sister bought me a crochet magazine for Christmas as well.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
oh interesting... i have always known how to crochet (taught the stitches as a child) ... but had never finished a project as I cannot read crochet patterns, would have to re-decipher any time I stopped & came back to a project; too difficult!! But about two or three Months ago some crochet VIDEOS started popping up in my youtube feed... my fingers got itching to stitch and I have started crocheting And Finishing things, in fact somewhat obsessively! So funny that suddenly now you are posting about this also!

My Sunny wants to get involved. BUT she gets bored when I just keep going and don't stop for her to "help" with the hook. Instead -- I have a few shirts which have sort of ties for a bow at the neckline. If I wear one of these, she now gets very excited; she will take hold of the cord and use her beak to make the exact turning movement i would make with crochet hook -- and she will do this until she has untied the bow! After which, she makes proud-of-herself Eeeeps at me, until i tie it back up for her to start again...

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
That's awesome! I would love to see some of your work. Please post pix.

I haven't yet followed a pattern. Everything I've learned I learned from You Tube ... lol

Actually, we (some friends & my SIL, MIL & my niece) were going to start a crochet club. Stating from the beginning with the basic stitches & choosing projects to do etc .... I had it all planned out. I even named our group get this. .... 'The Hookers' haha 😂 My MIL was dying when I told her the name.
Buuuuuuuuuut, b/c my son is immunocompromised, I couldn't risk us being exposed during the pandemic. 😷 😞
Which is too bad. B/c I think it would've been real fun.

Initially, when I started Levi (the scardy bird that he is) was afraid. I know No Shocker. Now he'll sit on my leg while I crochet.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE post some of your creations. I'd LOVE to see them.
Might even give me some ideas. I'm starting to think about Christmas gifts.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
That's awesome! I would love to see some of your work. Please post pix.

I haven't yet followed a pattern. Everything I've learned I learned from You Tube ... lol

Actually, we (some friends & my SIL, MIL & my niece) were going to start a crochet club. Stating from the beginning with the basic stitches & choosing projects to do etc .... I had it all planned out. I even named our group get this. .... 'The Hookers' haha 😂 My MIL was dying when I told her the name.
Buuuuuuuuuut, b/c my son is immunocompromised, I couldn't risk us being exposed during the pandemic. 😷 😞
Which is too bad. B/c I think it would've been real fun.

Initially, when I started Levi (the scardy bird that he is) was afraid. I know No Shocker. Now he'll sit on my leg while I crochet.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE post some of your creations. I'd LOVE to see them.
Might even give me some ideas. I'm starting to think about Christmas gifts.

Well it’s been only a couple months. And mine are MUCH MORE BORING than yours!!!! So you probably won't get much in the way of ideas from me. Nonetheless, here is Almost Everything I’ve done so far: (fiddle for scale)

F965C708-12E7-4A0F-A7BB-0B437E5654BC.jpeg
C872CD72-9D9E-45E2-A149-7B198182C5D5.jpeg
E973366B-7890-4C45-B22A-C4D9A712C214.jpeg
image.jpg

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
So I mentioned "Almost everything." I made a total of 3 of the bowl cozies. First one I didn't like the pattern as much; the one I photo'd, I love the way it expands with a hexagon-bottom that turns into square at the corner-edges. So I made 2 of the one I photo'd, but sent one to my mom. Also I made a shorter version of the moss-stitch scarf -- sized as a placemat, but intended as a sit-upon my mom's cat; also, of course, sent it off to mom. She says the cat loves it!

I started with the willow squares. The long lacey thing next to the yardstick is a pattern i saw on youtube and liked, great visuals but all foreign-language... i guess you-tube lady has small hands because I thought I had the right-sized yarn...but.... apparently it's supposed to be a baby's headband? ???!!!???? . But... well... it's just a THING. But I enjoyed making it!!!

Then I went back to making the willow squares and they shrank, had to increase my hook size. I have enough of that yarn so I figure they will become a blanket after I accumulate a few more. Not that I need nor have anyone to give blanket to!!

In fact i do not Need nor have anyone who needs, really, ANY crocheted items.

BUT--there is a group called Warm Up America that collects 7" x 9" crocheted or knitted rectangles, they then sew them into blankets which they donate. So I making 7" x 9" swatches of different types of stitches. Those are the rectangles in the middle of the group-pic of items.

Last edited:
OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
LOVE IT!!!! 💞💕

I had no idea there was even a thing called 'bowl cozies' ... lol 😆
But, I will definitely be making a few. Our bowls get so hot from the microwave.

Funny, I was going to ask what the lacey doily like strip was? I've made a few baby headbands. My niece recently had a baby girl. The little purple & white outfit was made for her.
Believe it or not, I have yet to try a granny square. I really should .. ha

I love the "moss-stitch scarf" Great Stitch, I haven't heard of that one yet.

The Shawl is coming out real nice. Love the yarn colors.

The 5 pieces in your first image, reminds me of the many practice squares & rectangles I made in the beginning.
BTW, I played the violin in primary school .... ha When I saw it, It brought a big smile to my face.

The last thing I made is the Chemo Hat, posted above. Unfortunately, my SIL was diagnosed with CA in June. She just had her first Chemo treatment last week. So, I found a lightweight cotton yarn to make her a beanie when she doesn't want to wear a wig. I added the rose to make it a tad more cheery. I used the V-Stitch w/ a large hook to make it airy.

Have you tried any doilies yet? I love doilies & I've made a bunch.
Thank you so much for sharing. I'll let you know what my next project will be.

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
This is my fave Doily. I was planning on making it larger. But, I got a little overzealous & added way too many stitches and created a ruffled edge ... ha I love how it came out even though I wasn't able to keep going. :giggle:

Brown Tan Doily.jpg

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
I love all your projects! It is wonderful to make such exquisite items for family members, and to add beauty to your SIL's struggle.

Regarding doilies, I do have some "crochet thread" -- which i got After making the baby-giant's'-headband-- and i might possibly move on to doilies after I complete all the willow-squares. ("Completed" will be, when I finish up all of that yarn, at which point I will stitch them together and call them a blanket.) The clear advantage of doilies, of course, will be for portable-projects, so once done with my existing squares I may start one or two, to have ready as take-alongs.

OP
Tami2

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I do enjoy smaller quicker projects especially after a long one.
If you make doilies please post your pictures.

Eventually, I'll try to do a Granny Square blanket. It just seems like so much work.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
That's really beautiful Jen, fantastic work! :love:
Thank you so much! I enjoyed making it so much -- and now, for today, I'm enjoying looking at it and feeling proud of myself!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thank you so much! I enjoyed making it so much -- and now, for today, I'm enjoying looking at it and feeling proud of myself!
You should be very proud of yourself Jen, it's really lovely and I adore the colour combination that you've used too. Photographing it with your violin was just the perfect touch! 😊

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
So I mentioned "Almost everything." I made a total of 3 of the bowl cozies. First one I didn't like the pattern as much; the one I photo'd, I love the way it expands with a hexagon-bottom that turns into square at the corner-edges. So I made 2 of the one I photo'd, but sent one to my mom. Also I made a shorter version of the moss-stitch scarf -- sized as a placemat, but intended as a sit-upon my mom's cat; also, of course, sent it off to mom. She says the cat loves it!

I started with the willow squares. The long lacey thing next to the yardstick is a pattern i saw on youtube and liked, great visuals but all foreign-language... i guess you-tube lady has small hands because I thought I had the right-sized yarn...but.... apparently it's supposed to be a baby's headband? ???!!!???? . But... well... it's just a THING. But I enjoyed making it!!!

Then I went back to making the willow squares and they shrank, had to increase my hook size. I have enough of that yarn so I figure they will become a blanket after I accumulate a few more. Not that I need nor have anyone to give blanket to!!

In fact i do not Need nor have anyone who needs, really, ANY crocheted items.

BUT--there is a group called Warm Up America that collects 7" x 9" crocheted or knitted rectangles, they then sew them into blankets which they donate. So I making 7" x 9" swatches of different types of stitches. Those are the rectangles in the middle of the group-pic of items.
Bird sweater for winter?

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Bird sweater for winter?

aaaaaaaahhh hahahaha.... ....imagine trying to get my Sunny into any sort of clothing item... hahahahaha ...just the Thought makes my hands bleed!!

That said -- she is determined to participate in the creative process. Occasionally "dives right in" - :oops: - to the point of nearly-incorporating herself into the project. I've learned to keep an Extra crochet hook handy, propped up as a distraction for her "use," so she doesn't entangle herself whilst chasing mine.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
aaaaaaaahhh hahahaha.... ....imagine trying to get my Sunny into any sort of clothing item... hahahahaha ...just the Thought makes my hands bleed!!

That said -- she is determined to participate in the creative process. Occasionally "dives right in" - :oops: - to the point of nearly-incorporating herself into the project. I've learned to keep an Extra crochet hook handy, propped up as a distraction for her "use," so she doesn't entangle herself whilst chasing mine.
Well I have kept many nekkid birds and made sweaters for them out of socks. I think you could sell bird sweaters on Etsy.

Purple and royal blue would contrast amazingly with a sun conure. Willow would need a little tux, though. One of those rad baby blue ones with the ruffley shirt collar. And a pink boutonnière.

Most Reactions