Anyone else kind of annoyed at these videos?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
You know those videos, where someone is playing with or preening their parrot, and it's made into this huge inspirational thing? Kind of like "This parrot has a one in a million bond with it's human because it's human can preen it!", and then the comments are filled with people who say "What a kind human" (as if the human is the one who is kindly allowing the bird to be preened by them, not the other way around), or "What a beautiful bird, where did you get it" or "I want one now, where do you buy them?". It's fine that people are showing the good sides of parrots, but it's somewhat annoying when bigger "inspirational animal" channels repost the videos and make them into a huge deal. Then more people are likely to see the good side of parrots instead of the side that's more important, which is the bad side.

I don't really know why I made this thread, but I'd like to hear what people think of these videos.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
You know those videos, where someone is playing with or preening their parrot, and it's made into this huge inspirational thing? Kind of like "This parrot has a one in a million bond with it's human because it's human can preen it!", and then the comments are filled with people who say "What a kind human" (as if the human is the one who is kindly allowing the bird to be preened by them, not the other way around), or "What a beautiful bird, where did you get it" or "I want one now, where do you buy them?". It's fine that people are showing the good sides of parrots, but it's somewhat annoying when bigger "inspirational animal" channels repost the videos and make them into a huge deal. Then more people are likely to see the good side of parrots instead of the side that's more important, which is the bad side.

I don't really know why I made this thread, but I'd like to hear what people think of these videos.
I don't see these kinds of videos that often, but YES. I 100% agree. I don't really mind that people post cute bird videos (as long as the viewers know that parrots aren't usually sweet and cuddly) but it's so important to show the bad side of parrot ownership as well.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I don't see these kinds of videos that often, but YES. I 100% agree. I don't really mind that people post cute bird videos (as long as the viewers know that parrots aren't usually sweet and cuddly) but it's so important to show the bad side of parrot ownership as well.
Totally. I've seen these videos before, but they really made me upset today since I'm going through a rough patch with the budgies, and they aren't being perfect and amazing, they're being crazy and incredibly phobic, and are heightened almost all the time. That's the reality of having birds.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I wouldn't mind this if people knew that showing good animals sites is more often than the bad sites... I think I mind more the fact that people easily think that parrots or other animals are "fun" just like in the videos.

For example my parents sometimes send me videos of parrots and cats together just to prove me that it's nothing bad... but how they are supposed to know what are their relations out of the video? I don't think it should be always forbidden (depends mostly on the cat reaction for bids) but cats are natural predators for birds and it's important to overview any their relations...

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Winston (M, English)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I understand where you're coming from.
But to me being able to do those thing does mean someone has an amazing bond with their bird. So I guess some people are happy about their bond and showing that.
The first time my galah let me preen him I was over the moon privileged! When I first got him he'd scream and hiss at the sight of me, now he trusts me to touch him.
Me and my budgies don't have a close enough bond for preening (or they just prefer each other to do it).
Whenever any of my birds take things from my hand, stand on my hand/arm, or lets me preen them, I understand what a complete privilege I have that these birds trust me.

where someone is playing with or preening their parrot, and it's made into this huge inspirational thing?
So basically to me videos of people playing or preening their parrot is inspiring. But yes, the internet has a way of distorting things.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I understand where you're coming from.
But to me being able to do those thing does mean someone has an amazing bond with their bird. So I guess some people are happy about their bond and showing that.
The first time my galah let me preen him I was over the moon privileged! When I first got him he'd scream and hiss at the sight of me, now he trusts me to touch him.
Me and my budgies don't have a close enough bond for preening (or they just prefer each other to do it).
Whenever any of my birds take things from my hand, stand on my hand/arm, or lets me preen them, I understand what a complete privilege I have that these birds trust me.

So basically to me videos of people playing or preening their parrot is inspiring. But yes, the internet has a way of distorting things.
Understandable, I also have budgies who do not want preening from me. However, even if they did, I think my fingers are too big for most areas, especially around their eyes and beak. Preening them isn't really my goal, I focus more on helping them overcome fear and stress and keeping them physically and mentally healthy. That's what helps them live a happy life with reduced stress.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Winston (M, English)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Understandable, I also have budgies who do not want preening from me. However, even if they did, I think my fingers are too big for most areas, especially around their eyes and beak. Preening them isn't really my goal, I focus more on helping them overcome fear and stress and keeping them physically and mentally healthy. That's what helps them live a happy life with reduced stress.
I have no want to preen my budgies either, but it's still a huge sign of trust.
Q says 50% of the time I am shocking at preening anyway :confused:

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
My kids watch those videos by The Dodo or whatever sometimes, and anytime it’s an Amazon they’re like THEYRE GONNA GET THE BITE, and I have to laugh. They have…very realistic expectations.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
There is a video out there your kids might like.
Some person playing a violin to an amazon parrot and the bird does NOT like it. launches a full out attack on the violin player.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
There is a video out there your kids might like.
Some person playing a violin to an amazon parrot and the bird does NOT like it. launches a full out attack on the violin player.

Oh my god, I CACKLED when that bird hit that violin. You could tell where it was going with him war dancing like that!!

And then the silence, little β€œbup-bups” followed by the I LOVE YOU, I DOOOO and the bird climbing back into view…

I appreciate and am concerned for the owner who was brave enough to film this.

Edited to add: not sure I condone pissing ones parrot off this much for internet points, but this is a ten year old video, and at the very least makes for a very good illustration of why you shouldn’t do things your bird dislikes in their presence…

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie

YES OMG THEY DRIVE ME UP THE WALL ONTO THE CEILING!!! It annoys me more than a majority of bird tiktoks, and is almost as irritating as messing up a painting! It’s cute yes but not inspiring. And the comments? I don’t know why but they get under my skin and really ruffle my feathers! Especially the β€œwHeRe CaN i BuY oNe?” Ones! It makes me want to drop a huge parrot care and behavior book into their lap and force them to read EVERY word.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
To be fair, usually people who post videos on any hobby, recreational activity or other endevor will only post ones that show the subject in a good light. One could hardly expect a 'chef to post a video on how they totally burnt a dish, or a musician who plays a piece of music horribly. I post vids of training session I do with Salty, but I don't post the ones where he flatly refuses to do any tricks, or the very rare ones where he is pissed off over something and tries to bite me. DO those things happen? He is a wild animal and a parrot, so yes, they do. What would you have, a disclaimer on these videos "While he looks all cuddly and loving, parrots sometimes will and do bite and hard at that" ?

I kinda agree with you that watching these videos does produce a false sense of what parrot ownership is all about. But hopefully someone who is interested in becoming a parront will do more research then just browsing Youtube or Tik-smuck.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
And highlighting the "bad" (I wouldn't say bad but difficult, because hard is not the same thing as bad) aspects of parrot ownership could serve to dissuade someone who had the potential to be an excellent parrot owner from getting one. And keep a bird from having a good home.
A good parrot relationship, like most all good things in life, is earned through hard work and commitment. Will have its ups and downs.

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)

I totally agree, the problem with that as it sets false expectations to viewers who can be inspired to get a parrot without having all the information. This kind of thing increases the need to rehome a parrot because the owner is not prepared for the reality of responsible parrot ownership.

Most Reactions